My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Monday, March 10, 2008

Our Forties- A Second Puberty

I'm driving in my car tonight listening to Oprah radio. Does anyone out there love it like I do? Anyway, the station played an episode of the Oprah show. I only caught a few minutes, but the premise was that our forties are a second puberty. Our body starts to change and shift, seemingly against our wishes, we lose control of our moods at times, and we begin to break free of statutes we've followed our whole lives. I found it all to be very interesting and no accident, perhaps, that much of my forties (if not all, maybe I should do the math) will be spent parenting pubescents. And here we'll be together. Should work perfectly, right? So how come it doesn't?

I watch my ED and the struggles she's beginning to face. She's a creative, intelligent, free spirit, and she will never be the one who just falls in line. She likes to do things her own way and lets other people do the same. However, she's beginning to get a little fall-out from that. I see it's hard for her, but I see her pressing on. How can I not do the same? Maybe we go through these things at the same time as our daughters so we can learn from them. It's inspirational to watch this kid finding her way against this big world that tells her she's supposed to be skinny minnie, have flawless skin, make effortless straight As, participate in every extra-curricular activity, wear all the newest fashions and still recycle. People lament this generation, but if adversity builds strength, these kids will be strong and ready to make this world better.

I made a sign today that says this: The Koppelmans Will Change the World For the Better. (yes, I know it's not grammatically correct all my writing nerd friends. I'd think the same thing, can't compare to nothing..better than what? and all that, but stay with me anyway) I thought, what can it hurt? As I helped my OM team set goals yesterday, I thought about our family goals. I take such pains to review the OM goals each time we meet, make sure they 'own' their goals, but what about my family? SO I thought I'd get their brains going. I wonder how long it will take someone to ask me about it. I saw my five-year-old trying to sound out the words, but I don't know if he got it. The other kids read it and moved on, probably used to my crazy notes and Latin phrases and Bible verses and other bits of wisdom around. I hope it sinks in. I mean, I do EXPECT us to change the world for the better. Not just the kids but the grown-ups, too.

So anyway, I'm hoping puberty will be better the second time around. Hopefully I won't have to endure any excruciating talks from my parents, exam agony, and learning to maintain bra straps. But I don't get the perks of the first hand-holding (sweaty but exciting), winning the school spelling bee, giggling with friends on the phone and listening to Casey Casum (with my tape recorder poised and ready).

Oh, coming soon: the latest in the Llama, Llama series by yours truly. In this rendition, Llama, Llama learns the comma. It's not finished yet, but soon!

2 comments:

Jody said...

I love how you snuck in that you won the school spelling bee. Show-off. That's interesting about the second puberty. I'm not sure I like it very much.

Diane said...

Hmm, I hadn't heard this before but it makes sense to me. I've always thought the elderly share amazing similarities to babies -- I won't go into it, but just think about it; you'll get it... So maybe our forties (and now I have both feet firmly within that decade AND a birthday coming up - geez!)are preparing us for the ride back down the hill. Life truly is a circle then... Should be comforting but to be honest, I'm feeling a bit disgusted by the whole aging thing. Glad you've found a positive in all this.


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman