Yesterday I went to an antique store in Manteo, one of my favorites, and decided to pick up a few old Life magazines. I bought a 1958, 1959, and 1964. We all pored over them, enjoying the ads, articles about integration and space exploration. My kids really liked them, too. We had an afternoon full of thunderstorms, so they proved to be a fun diversion. So it got me thinking about technology and how many things I'm grateful for in that category of life.
So here's my Grateful Wed.
1. I am SO grateful for air conditioning. My grandmother grew up in Texas with no air conditioning. How did they do it? I can't imagine. When ours is on the fritz, I think I'm going to die. How spoiled is that?
2. I'm terribly thankful for an ice maker in my fridge. It's so wonderful to have a nice cold drink, full of ice, whenever I want it. Especially this time of year.
3. I'm grateful for washers and dryers. As much as I complain about laundry, I know it could be much worse.
4. I'm thankful for my dishwasher. Hand-washed dishes are never so sparkly as dishwasher dishes.
5. I'm thankful for a car. Expensive gas and all.
6. I'm thankful for my laptop. I so love it, and I have many wonderful friends through it.
7. I'm grateful for my ipod. My house is way cleaner than before I had it. Nothing like vaccuuming to Bare Naked Ladies or mopping to the Go-Gos.
8. I'm thankful for Barnes and Noble and their partnership with UPS to bring me good reading on short notice. Too bad I live so FAR from a good independent bookstore.
Please be thankful with me. Take a moment in your busy day, pause and think of the items in technology that make your life easier, bring you closer to others, and help minimize housework, so you can LIVE your life. And if you have more than a minute, share your list in your comments, and remind us of even more things for Grateful Wed.
My Mission Statement
I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.