My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Saturday, June 14, 2008

Pirate Camp

I'm writing to you tonight from Manteo, NC, and more specifically "Pirate Camp". Every summer my dad and stepmom host "Pirate Camp" for all the grandchildren. Back in the day, the parents got to get away and reconnect while the kids visited with the grandparents, but these days there are too many children, so parents stay. My sibs are here with their kids and dogs, and it's great fun for all. My kids look forward to it for months.

Our trip to Water Country was awesome. It was the most relaxing day trip ever. No lines, not crowded at all. The kids played together great, and we just hung out. Once I got over the wierdness of walking around nearly naked (in my bathing suit) with a lot of other nearly naked people, it was really fun. So I highly recommend Water Country USA in Williamsburg, VA on a week-day. Plus we got great coupons from McDonalds which I recommend, as well. (and while you're there, try the new southern style chicken biscuit or sandwich)

I missed Thankful Wed, so I will be doing that tomorrow in honor of Father's Day, so stay tuned.

Oh, and I have a few authors lined up for author interviews over the next few weeks, so look for that, too. If anyone has any suggested questions for them, please put them in the comments. My first author will be Jody Mace who does a ton of freelancing (check out her website), so consider any questions in that category.

One more thing, I'd like to endorse another middle grade book for summer reading, MILLICENT MIN, GIRL GENIUS by Lisa Yee. I just finished it. Hilarious and tender all at once. Great read aloud. I plan to begin it with my kids as soon as I finish JULIA GILLIAN which we're totally loving, too. Check them out!

xoxox

2 comments:

Jody said...

If you like Millicent, try the other two books by Lisa Yee: Stanford Wong Flunks Bigtime and So Totally Emily Ebers. They tell the same story, but from the viewpoint of the other two main characters. Very interesting.

I did a Q&A with Lisa Yee on the trilogy a while back:

http://www.jodymace.com/news/?p=128

Dorothy said...

When you interview Jody, find out some tricks for being funny. I could use them.

Nice ode for fathers.


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman