My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Thursday, July 24, 2008

Grateful Wed/A Day Late

I'm a day late with my grateful wed, but wait, I have good reasons. First of all, I drove to Lumberton (8 hours round trip) to meet my stepdad half way to get three of my kids who were visiting them in Georgia. THEN I had 12 dinner guests. We cooked shrimp and mahi on the grill, I made a yummy tomato pie. We had a lovely evening although we had to eat inside because a storm rolled in, but then it cleared up enough to light the fire pit outside for a little after dinner lingering. Great friends, sweet kids running around. How could I NOT be grateful? So here's my Grateful Wed, a day late.
1. I'm grateful for really terrific, kind friends who took the time to hang with us last night.
2. I'm grateful for all the little girls running around last night. Now that my girls are older, I miss the little ones running around (there always seem to be plenty of little boys these days).
3. I'm grateful for my mom and stepdad who so generously had the kids for a week and showed them the time of their lives.
4. I'm grateful for a few days away from my kids, so I can completely adore them again in a fresh and new way.
5. I'm grateful for the magic of summer.
6. I'm grateful to be fresh from my Chautauqua experience, looking at the world in a whole new way.
7. I'm grateful for my awesome mother-in-law who came and helped hold the fort down in my absence last week.
8. I'm grateful for all you, my encouraging readers, who came to Chautauqua with me.
9. I'm grateful for our awesome friends and houseguests who traveled here to see us for the next four days. We've missed them a ton and we're so glad to have them here now.

PLEASE share your gratefulness with us all in your comments. We must learn to be grateful in all times and places. Pause and smile over all you blessings.

One of the recurring themes at Chautauqua was the importance of reading. Of course, you know I LOVE to read, but it's often a source of guilt for me. I'm tired because I read too much last night. I need to clean out a drawer in the kitchen, but here I am reading, etc., etc. Plus, I came back from Chautauqua into a nearly impossible writing scenario for the next month. So I've decided that my post-Chautauqua work schedule is a little writing, my daily three pages, but a LOT of reading to get geared up for fall. What do you think? I'm actually pretty psyched because I love to read, and I'm thrilled to be able to 'count' it as work.

My ED is at camp,and I miss her so much. I think this is very good because I know she misses me, too. We get to adore each other again, as well. Not an easy thing when they're 12.

Have a great week. Anyone have a garden in bloom? My tomatoes are plentiful, even a few cucumbers, my herbs are holding out in the heat. Tomato pies aplenty. Life is good. xoxo

1 comment:

Diane said...

1. I'm grateful for electricity.
2. I'm grateful that while the electricity was out, the temperature didn't get as hot as it could have or has been.
3. I'm grateful my daughter is taking care of my son's math practice today so I can spend some time with you on this blog.
4. I'm grateful that although my parrot insists on laying eggs it hasn't seemed to harm her.
5. I'm grateful my husband is okay with the fact that we spent more money than we'd intended on parrot vitamins, just in case.
6. I'm grateful for children's laughter even though it's making it very hard for me to write this list.
7. I'm grateful for my town's librarians who let me do one of my very favorite things yesterday: read my stuff to kids who don't actually live with me and who think they aren't allowed to leave the room until I'm finished.
8. I'm grateful for caramel apple suckers.
9. I'm grateful that summer isn't over yet.


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman