My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Book Recommendation

I wanted to send out a quick note tonight about a book I just finished today (and if you must know, I also STARTED it today). It's called STORM WARRIORS by Elisa Carbone, and it tells the story of young Nathan on the Outer Banks of the 1890s. Nathan aspires to be a surfman. On Pea Island where he lives with his father and grandfather, he sees the heroism of these African American men, and he thinks that he, too, can one day do that. Despite the fact that he and his father assist in rescues and visit regularly with these men, Nathan's father is opposed to his plan. He still feels that too many doors will be closed to him as a young black man. He worries that he shouldn't get his hopes up. Nathan is a lovable, courageous protagonist you will love from the first page, but the real heroes are these men of the Outer Banks Lifesaving Stations. What a fitting tribute to the Surfmen of the 1890s, black men who risked their lives countless times but until recently, never received any of the accolades awarded the white surfmen. I couldn't put this book down. I just loved it, especially as it was set in my beloved Outer Banks. Carbone beautifully depicts Nor'easters and even a hurricane in the spirit of a native. The acknowledgements are particularly interesting and insightful as she talks a little about her writing process as she worked on this book. The icing on this yummy cake was my discovery that it was edited by TRACY GATES, whom I met at Chautauqua. So friends, CHECK OUT this lovely book. I know you'll love it as I did. It should be on every school library's recommended reading list.

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman