My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Saturday, August 9, 2008

Fund-Raising

Our family is considering a trip to Europe next summer with another family. So we've been talking to the children about it. Would they be willing to skip a summer of camp (next summer) to take such a trip because saving on camp would put a fair amount toward our trip. They agreed, and we began to brainstorm other fundraising ideas for our family. First, of course, they wanted to have a lemonade stand every week, but I asked them to consider what we could cut first.

I suggested cable.

They suggested haircuts.

I suggested we cut going to the movies.

They suggested we not get popcorn at the movies.

My husband suggested a giant yard sale.

The kids really liked that one.

They also suggested cutting the following: vegetables, school supplies, coffee, and sun tan lotion. Some ideas were, of course, better than others, but we haven't given up yet. Any suggestions out there?

They're also responsible for a service project this winter which, ironically, they've decided will be to raise money for camp scholarships. Maybe it's time to read LAWN BOY to them. I wonder if we have any heavyweight boxers in our small town.

So, I picked up my ED from camp. Here's what I've learned so far: She armwrestled all the boys from the boys' camp when they came over for the dances (and beat most of them). She picked up a little Hebrew from her cabinmates practicing for their bat mitzvahs. She has a few specific ideas about where she'd like to attend college thanks to college night at camp. (yay camp!) And she read DOUBLE her book goal for the summer due to afternoon reading time at camp. WOW. Of course, I learned more than that, but those are the parts I thought you'd find interesting. It's great to have her home. She's been a joy, and she looks great.

I have two writing deadlines this week, set for myself by myself, of course, but they are real deadlines in the form of one contest and one submission deadline. I've got to HIT IT the next few late nights. xoxox

1 comment:

Jody said...

Donna, I sent you a really urgent email. If you didn't get it can you please email me right away?

Thanks! jody@jodymace.com


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman