My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sunday---a day of REST??

How do I reclaim Sunday as a day of rest? Between teaching Sunday school, getting four kids ready for Sunday school and church, attending a funeral, and preparing dinner for the youth group kids, Sundays are exhausting. I always start off the week completely worn out because of my Sunday. Of course, today is more busy than usual, and I feel less energetic than usual. Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions for taking back Sundays, I'd love to hear it.

Elections are drawing near. A part of me is already sick of the back and forth, but I want to remember to be grateful that we live in a free country. I am thankful that people can express all opinions because that is what makes this country great. I rejoice in people who agree with me politically and I also rejoice in the voices of dissent because it reminds me of our precious freedom.

I'm reading Eleanora Tate's new book, and I just finished an awesome YA book, so stay tuned for some book reviews this week. Thanks for everyone who participated in Poetry Friday. I hope I'm not speaking out of line if I tell you that some people participated but e=mailed me directly instead of commenting. I don't care how you channel your poetry muse, just do it! Thanks for participating.

This week-end was the peanut festival in our little town of 5,000 people. My kids look forward to it every year. The parade is complete with tractors and farm equipment of all kinds, then there's a big marching band competition. I volunteered at the bake sale, and we had a TON of baked goods. I mean, a crazy number of hand-made items. Then, some parents sent prepackaged grocery store items of the Little Debbie and Hostess variety. What do you think people bought? Nine times out of ten they bought the darn Little Debbie cakes. Isn't that surprising? So all these people baked their hearts out (including myself), and people bought Little Debbie snack cakes. Go figure.

I attended a very lovely dinner party last night. It was great fun and a nice evening. It is so nice when someone goes to the trouble to have people in like that. I appreciated her trouble so much.

I'm dying to see NIGHTS IN RODANTHE because it was, of course, filmed on the Outer Banks. Wish it would come to Edenton. Everyone have a wonderful week. I finally got print cartridges, so I can get back to subbing tomorrow! (After I teach a psat prep class and count sally foster money for the school fundraiser)

3 comments:

Write2ignite said...

Colossians 2:6-23 (especially 16) helps me alot. Some weeks I have to just put my foot down and NOT do anything that brings me stress or makes me feel out of "sync" on the Sabbath. It can get soooo crazy sometimes.

So, maybe you could set aside an additional day in the week to worship and rest? I don't know what "rest" means in your house, though. I try to remember that even JEsus healed on the Sabbath and hung out with his closest friends on that day.

Some friends and were discussing the Sabbath described in the Bible versus the modern day version of Sabbath. In the old testament, the Sabbath was on Saturday. But later, Christians were instructed (I believe by Constantine?) to observe Sunday as the Sabbath (Saturday) was observed. Resting, worshiping, etc. So, there are tons of conflicting opinions regarding this issue within theological circles. EEK! (I know, you already know all that. I just get carried away). :)

Whatever you do, I know you'll do it to the Glory of God! Time flies by too quickly for us NOT to slow down and enjoy this life God has given us. Thanks for the reminder and for making me think!! :)

Write2ignite said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Donna Jones Koppelman said...

Please get carried away! What a great comment. I really like your idea of designating another day of rest. I'm going to have to work on that one. My kids need it, too,though, so maybe we could have an evening of rest once a week? Sandwiches and family movie, maybe? Hmmmm....


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman