My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sunday, Sunday

Congratulations to some of you who have signed up for the NaNoWriMo with me. I'm excited for us to go through it together. (Diane, does that include you? huh? huh?) This week will be an important one for us to begin outlining our novel. I have NO idea what I'll be writing. I may rewrite something I've already begun (only a few chapters ) but want to chance the POV and, really, a lot about it. I'm looking forward to going through this process with others. 2000 words a day sounds like a lot. I'm sure I've written that many words before, but I was in the heat of a novel with everything tumbling out. The first few days aren't like that at all. I am looking forward to just writing, writing, writing with no edits as I go. And November is a busy month for me...okay, no worries, we can do it, right?

Two thoughts as you prepare this week. I've talked to people who have done it both ways. Some people swear by a good plan the week before they start writing, and some people (including the author of a NYT bestseller who wrote her book during nanowrimo) like to fly by the seat of their pants. I think I like a little of both. I don't want a total gps, but I'd like somewhat of a map. Two techniques I like. #1, the Snowflake method. It might make you crazy (as it does me), but you'll have to admit it's helpful. Google it if you don't know about it. It's worth a look. #2. How to Write a Novel in 30 days is a great book, mostly because it has some great graphic organizers and other organizational tools that you can put to work immediately. I swear by this book for its organizational stuff although I've not done much of anything in 30 before, I must admit. A lot of people also recommend the book on the nanowrimo site, but I've never read it. Oh, and sharpen your pencils.

To change the subject, someone told my husband and me that we look tired and busy. I didn't take it as a compliment. I think we'll sit down with our schedule this week and honestly see what can be cut this week. With Halloween and everything, next week-end will be wild, too. My husband and I need a break, some time to get away together, but it just seems impossible.

WE have OM today. My kids have tons of great ideas, but now it's time to put some order to them. Easier said than done. Fun to watch, though.

It's such a gorgeous day. Warm, probably close to 70, and sunny after two days of rain. It's supposed to really cool off this week, too, so we should be out in it!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Thanks for checking in.

Redneck Tips for Enjoying a Warm Fall Day
1. Clean out the dead flowers still in your pots to make room for pansies.
2. Clean spider webs off your back porch, or leave them for Halloween.
3. Wash the dog in the back yard with the hose, the kids, too.
4. Teach the kids to put down grass seed.
5. Wash your car in your bikini and cut offs, no matter what your age.

1 comment:

Write2ignite said...

Yes, NaNo is coming up and I need to put a "I'VE SIGNED UP" thingee on my blog. EEK! Glad to know we're in this together.

BTW- what is OM?

hugs,
Donna


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman