My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Sunday, November 9, 2008

16,531

Yesterday I spent all day (from 6 am until 5:30 pm) driving to and cheering for a soccer all star tournament. It was fun, the girls played well, but I was exhausted. I tried to write out at the field, but that was a bust with the glare of the sun and not enough power to my laptop and so forth. So in between games and during one of the practice sessions, I took a nap in my car, thinking I could be better rested when I got home to write what has now become "my damn 2000 words". Needless to say when I finally got out of the car at 5:30 last night, the first thing I wanted was a beer and the LAST thing I wanted was to write. But I did try for a few minutes. Only I was JUST TOO TIRED and my shoulder was sore from driving.

I know what you're thinking, what a whiner, right? But hang on. So I went to sleep about 9 with plans to quit NaNoWriMo forever, etc., then just as I was about to fall asleep, I got this great thought (go ahead and say, well, duh, but it was a great thought for me). I thought to myself, "Why don't I take this wanting to quit, this frustration, this feeling of being in over my head, and apply it to my character's situation?"

So instead of quitting this morning, that's what I did. I wrote all my frustration, wanting to quit, feelings of insecurity into my character's head and wrote my fastest 2000 words yet. And it felt great. I'm so glad I didn't quit. Yes, I'm a little behind, missing a day like that, and I have two crazy weeks full of travel coming up, but I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.....xoxox

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman