My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Prejudice

Our family uses a little dinner time question game to discuss issues and just enjoy time together at the dinner table. Last night there was a question: "What is prejudice? Have you ever seen or experienced it?"

Well, I asked this question, and we quickly established between the four kids that prejudice is judging someone based on their external appearance like skin color. Then I asked if they'd ever seen it or experienced it. Well, silence from the 12yo, 11yo, 8yo, but then the 5yo said, "I know. I know." His sibs rolled their eyes as if to say what could a kindergartner know about prejudice?

So the little one said. "I've been hurt because of prejudiced people."

"Really?" WE looked at each other and leaned in to hear this.

"Yes,just because I was born with a purple face (it's true, he was badly bruised in delivery), my sister says I'm an alien. Just because my skin was purple."

Well, there you have it, folks. Prejudice in its purest form. Thinking a kid's an alien because his face is purple is no more ludicrous than some of the other assumptions we make about skin color. But I had to laugh and laugh, and of course, tell his sister to stop calling him an alien.

I pray for our country today and that this election unites us as a country rather than divides us--whatever the outcome. I pray that just because my neighbor may have a purple face or a sign I don't like in her yard, I don't make assumptions or let it cost me the relationship. (and for Lord's sake, DON'T call her an alien) I've been shocked at the normally mild-mannered people who have turned downright ugly and hostile in this election. The beauty of this free country is we should be able to express our support for our candidate of choice freely, without persecution or judgement.

xoxox

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman