My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Sunday, December 28, 2008

Notable Moment in History

No, I'm not writing about the Obamas yet. I'm writing about the fact that I'm plopped down on the sofa with my umpteenth cup of coffee while my dear husband guides the kids in a clean up. It's a magical moment for me, and one I wanted to share with you. I also wanted to document it, so I can go back and prove to myself that it actually did happen. You see, I might one day think it was a dream.

I have missed you, dear friends, over the past busy weeks, and I have especially missed Poetry Friday. I fear that I have been a horrid example in that regard. We should NEVER let the poetry go out of our lives. Although Christmas with four children is sheer poetry, I must say.

We've had a lovely Christmas with lots of family time, travel (albeit short distances), and snuggles aplenty. We are looking forward to New Year's in Asheville with some dear friends that we only get to see once or twice a year. The best part is it's a family gathering, so kids and adults are equally excited.

I've written very little over the past two weeks, but I've been reading like a fiend. I've read the first two Twilight books (hmmmm.....more on that later), LOTS of newspapers and caught up on blogs of friends. I'm revisiting some of my Jane Austen favorites thanks to a Christmas anthology and cooking like crazy. I've even done a little shopping--jeans at Aeropostale for my daughter, a few goodies from Trader Joe's, online winter sale at Garnet Hill (check it out!), and, yes, a little Barnes and Noble fix. I've eaten a ridiculous amount of food and enjoyed every morsel, but now I'm ready to STOP. I've eaten so much that the new watch I received for Christmas even got a little tight. Isn't that an embarrassing confession? They say your wrist is the last thing to change with weight fluctuation, so you see, everything else had swollen up, so my puffy wrist is to me what that little pop up tab is to a cooked turkey. I'm DONE.

Now today the Vikings play. They MUST win today. Everyone please join us in cheering them on.

I've enjoyed my vacation from a normal routine (what IS a normal routine, anyway?), okay, from serious writing, and especially the reading. But I'm starting to get antsy to write again. That's a good thing, right?

I have a few subs out for my picture book and even a new one I sent for the middle grade novel, so we'll see what happens. I'm hopeful. I have to admit I was a little pissy approaching Christmas Eve because I really thought 2008 would be THE YEAR for me to finally sell a new project. AS the year approaches an end and it becomes clear that it will NOT be the year, I must reflect on the milestones I've had professionally and personally this year that show me moving forward, at least.

Chautauqua made such an impression that I frequently dream about it. I've made some lasting friendships that began there, and I hope to one day go again. I've survived having four children in school for a few months, and I know they will all be okay.

As New Year's approaches, I will set some specific goals for myself professionally, and I will ask you to hold me accountable. I hope you'll share some, too.

May God bless you all this holiday season. Enjoy every moment with your precious family, and if they're idiosyncrasies start to get to you, just mine those memories into a winning character! xoxox

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman