My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Monday, January 19, 2009

Prayer for Snow

Dear God,
For years, I've watched the weatherman religiously. (forgive me) Studied the thermometer with passion and hope. But this time, I'm going straight to the top.

Here's the thing, it's not for me. It's for the kids! I mean, when that teacher stopped us today at the shoe store and said 4-8 inches of snow! Their little hearts went directly to heaven. I'm sure you heard their sweet little prayers.

I know all children love snow, but my children REALLY love snow. And my sweet Minnesota-native husband. They're pretty nice people, Lord,they're big fans of yours, and they don't really beg for much.

So today, I'm begging for snow. Please. I'm in a bit of a panic mode because everyone's all excited, chili in the crock pot for tomorrow, hot chocolate set out for morning, pajamas inside out for luck. They've done jumping jacks and snow dance after snow dance. And I just looked at the updated forecast that has rain INTO snow. You and I both know what that's like and it's JUST NOT THE SAME!

Please, some serious snow. Snow enough to sled in. Snow enough to drink hot chocolate and watch out the window and jump around excitedly. Fluffy snow that sticks to the ground, swirling, whirling flakes of white that muffle all the extraneous sounds of their little world. Lord, give us a storm that will settle around our family like a protective blanket, a layer of beauty and peace that is second only to your perfect beauty and peace. I want to step outside in the morning and hear its billowing softness that promises joyful squeals of laughter. We haven't had a good snow here in YEARS. I know we've abused this lovely environment you gave us, and it's probably our fault, but not my childrens'!

Okay, Lord, I'm begging, asking, praying, for a miracle. A snowfall that could only come from your heavenly hands. A snowy white layer that reminds us that we are all pure in your eyes because of the gift of your son.

So here's what I think. The forecast says rain to snow. Can the temp just drop a little faster? A little sooner? Then we could go straight to snow? That's always a better result. Even you have to agree. And that whole quick-moving storm thing? Could you just slow it down a bit? Seems to me those two little things, tweaked a bit, would give us just the snow we're praying for. Shouldn't be too hard for you, the Almighty.

But of course, we want YOUR will and not our own. I just wanted to give you my side of things before you make any final decisions.

Forgive me for putting this prayer ahead of lots more important things tonight. I promise to be a better intercessor in the future. Thank you for being my redeemer and my Almighty King. Thank you that I can come to you with even the tiniest of things and know that you hear me. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman