My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Friday, February 6, 2009

Poetry Friday- It's a special one today!

I have a VERY SPECIAL poetry Friday in store for you today. I have a student from the local middle school who is doing a job shadow with me today. She aspires to write for children, so I've asked her to provide the poem for my blog today. Our topic for today is this: a time you got in trouble. I gave her five minutes to come up with a little something, and here's how it goes.

Ashleigh's Poem

One day when I was late for class, I might have gotten detention.
When I got home to my mom, detention I did not mention.
The guilt built up inside of me; I just wanted to scream.
The phone call came, I was ashamed. Detention just got me.

Woo hoo! NOw let me see LOTS of poetry today in honor of Ashleigh! Also, any words of advice you can give her would be GREAT. Have a good Friday. Look for my poem as a comment today.

5 comments:

Donna Jones Koppelman said...

LOVE it, Ashleigh! Hooray for our first guest poet!

Here's the time I got in trouble;

The day I got in trouble at school
I thought I'd acted, Oh, so cool.

I'd livened up my English class
With jokes, and, Okay, a little sass.

The kids all laughed for a while
But then glares replaced their smiles.

I looked up to see the principal's stare.
He yanked me up and out of there.

In the office, he explained it well.
Having fun is for after the bell.

I'm no longer the school's class clown.
Now I'm the best behaved teacher around.

Anonymous said...

Donna,
My advice to a young writer: Keep a journal. Write something every day. Read. Everything. And read more.
--Jody

Anonymous said...

Wow, Ashleigh! You did well and in only five minutes! With a notebook handy as Jody said, you'll be amazed at word combinations that you come up with. Soak up nature and appeal to all the senses. Keep trying new ways of writing and read all sorts of poets. Good luck,

Maureen

Dorothy said...

Ashleigh, your poem was amazing for just five minutes, and not knowing you were going to have to do it, too. Sounds like you have talent, so keep at it.

Thanks for your input on my critique today. Those comments help me improve. It's impossible to see your own work objectively, but you still have to have faith in yourself.

Write2ignite said...

Great Job, Ashleigh! It's tough coming up with something on the spot. Read lots of poetry so you a feel for the kind of poetry that is "you". :) You'll find your own rhythm and voice. So don't be afraid to use it!

Donna - I loved the twist at the end! I'll have to post one another time on this subject. perhaps on the time I got in trouble in Mrs. Cox's class...


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman