My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Friday, March 20, 2009

Introducing....FOOD FRIDAY!

I'm excited about a new feature---FOOD FRIDAY! Now on Fridays, I invite you to share recipes and food ideas with us all. I will post a recipe or idea, and then you can share your ideas/recipes through the comments. I've been sharing recipes online for years (and getting them that way!), so I can't wait to do it through my blog. Why didn't I think of this before? Plus, all my friends are such good cooks. So please participate and get us off to a good start! Angie, I'm looking for that Steak Pinwheel recipe!!

Today I will share a recipe that I just made last night. It's from this month's Southern Living. However, I'm going to share my 'adapted' version because I think it's an improved version. One son had soccer 5-6 and my other son had soccer at 7. I came home after my first son's soccer ended at six, threw this recipe together, enjoyed a lovely meal in time for my son's practice at 7. It's that fast and healthy. Gotta love THAT!

Ingredients:
3 pkg of Oriental flavored ramen noodles
4 cups of water
4 chopped green onions
4 T. chopped fresh cilantro
1 1/2 cup. fresh, trimmed snow peas
1 1/4 pound peeled, raw shrimp
1 1/2 cup shredded cabbage (I got the kind with carrots in it, too, for extra vitamins)
1 T. chopped peanuts per person

Stir together three flavor packets from the ramen noodles with the water, onions and cilantro. Bring to a boil. Add TWO packs of the noodles (you will NOT use the third block of noodles for this recipe--save for a kid lunch one day or something) and snow peas. Cook about a minute, then stir in shrimp. Cook two minutes or so until shrimp are pink and yummy. While that is cooking, spread half the cabbage in the bottom of 4-6 individual bowls (however many eaters you have). Then top the cabbage with the shrimp and noodle mixture. Top with the rest of the cabbage and 1 T. of chopped peanuts per plate. Yum. This is fast, easy, light and lots of crunch. It's a new favorite. And for those of you who spend time with me at the cottage this summer, you'll DEFINITELY have it there.

ANOTHER FOOD IDEA: I'm always looking for good breakfast ideas for my family. This morning I tried something new (necessity is the mother of invention!), and the kids went crazy for it. I simply scrambled a few eggs (I didn't have enough for everyone to just eat eggs, so a little bit of eggs goes a long way here), then scooped some eggs into four hot dog buns (for my four kids). Then on top of each egg-filled bun, I put a little cheese then tossed it under the broiler for a minute to melt it and toast the bun. Kids thought it was the greatest thing ever. It would also have been good with a little pre-cooked bacon sprinkled on top. Maybe next time...

I'm happily editing today. It's a beautiful thing. Hope you all have a wonderful week-end. xox

4 comments:

Angie said...

As promised, here's what I made last night. Teriyaki Steak pinwheels. I had picked up something like this out of the meat case at one of the larger grocery stores a while back, and have meant to make it myself since then.

You need:
Flank steaks cut a little larger than a dollar bill. 7x3 is a great size. They're already pretty flat.
Bottled Teriyaki marinade (or make your own)
Provolone Cheese
Fresh spinach.

Marinate the steaks in the teriyaki for at least an hour. Then lay them out flat and top with 1/2 slice provolone and a small handfull of spinach. Roll up starting on a short end and secure with a toothpick.

Bake at 350. 20 minutes gets you medium-rare. Adjust time to your preference.

Even the kids loved it.

Anonymous said...

Oh yum. This recipe looks delicious (as does the one posted in your comments by Angie)! Along the same lines as the one above, here is a great breakfast recipe for sausage rolls.

2 c. Bisquick
2/3 c. milk
12 oz. roll lean bulk sausage (crumbled)
Cheese (I used chedder)

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Mix Bisquick and milk to make dough. Roll into a rectangle & cover dough with sausage & cheese. Roll up like cinnamon roll. Cut into 1/2 inch slices. Bake 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown.

You can also roll them up in wax paper, freeze and then slice some off the log whenever you need it!

Donna Jones Koppelman said...

Both of those look great! And I like the small number of ingredients. Emilyrena--when you say the sausage is crumbled, is it browned and crumbled? Or does it spread thin enough that it actually cooks that quickly?

Anonymous said...

From what I found, you really don't need to brown the sausage beforehand. It saves you a step. Browning the sausage might give it a meatier texture, but might make it a little more difficult to roll up.


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman