My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Lions and Tigers and Head Injuries--oh, my!

When I was in kindergarten, there was a boy in my class named Kelly. One morning, he fell in the shower before school and hit his head. He came on to school but grew nauseous, so his parents came to get him. He DIED later that day of head trauma from that fall in the shower. So you can imagine how freaked out I am about head injury.

My 9YO fell out of the car on his head this morning in the parking lot across the street. His feet became tangled in his bookbag and he fell head first. OUCH. He's in my husband's office (which is across from the hospital and around the corner from the pediatrician's) with ice on his head. My DH will take him to the doc between patients. I know it's the best place for him to be, but still. And he's okay. Probably a concussion because he's pretty dizzy, but I'm worried, of course. Say a little prayer for him this morning.

It's amazing how you can be rushing around worrying about stupid things like packing lunches and reviewing vocabulary. Then something happens, and it all falls away. All that matters is that your loved ones are safe and okay. Obviously, we have to deal with those other things, but it reminds me of that book title 'don't sweat the small stuff'. So folks, here's what I'm saying this morning: don't sweat it. Hug your babies and your big kids, too. Kiss your husband good-bye, and be grateful for the normal days, no matter how chaotic, because normal is precious and good. Something tells me that I'll remember the normal days as much as anything one day--the sweet moments of homework and reading a new book, announcing an A on a test at the dinner table, celebrating a lost tooth, finding the other shoe, the unmatched beauty of a child unloading the dishwasher without being asked...I could go on and on, and you could, too. Take the time today to relish in the preciousness of a normal moment.

P.S. (AT 1:22 Doc says mild concussion. He'll be up and running soon.)

2 comments:

Liz said...

Thank God he is OK! Poor Ben! I will give you a big hug tomorrow morning at bible study. Thanks for the reminder of not sweating the small stuff. Soooooo important.

Dorothy said...

So glad he's no worse. I know you were scared and happy to get the doctor's opinion.

When I was 10, hanging by my knees from a broom sick between the garage and a wall, I slipped and hit on the top of my head. It hurt, but I evidently survived. Didnt dare tell my mother what happened. And then again, maybe that explains a lot.


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman