My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Tuesday, October 6, 2009

LIZZIE BRIGHT AND THE BUCKMINSTER BOY by Gary Schmidt

HOW in the world have I missed this lovely book? Thought it's been out for a few years and won several awards (including the Newbery medal), I've only just read LIZZIE BRIGHT AND THE BUCKMINSTER BOY by Gary Schmidt.

I enthusiastically recommend this book to you, your children, and your neighbors. I also give this book the *GIFT BOOK* recommendation. It's a lovely story of a young man, son of a white minister, who moves from the excitement of turn-of-the-20th century Boston to a quiet Maine town. As if life as a P.K. isn't hard enough, he clashes with the local boys and as a result, befriends Lizzie Bright, a resident of nearby Malaga Island. Malaga Island is inhabited by former slaves and their descendants and is considered "forbidden" and "bad company" by the deacons and other congregants who feel the need to help the Reverent parent his son. As punishment for his visit to the forbidden place, Turner must play the organ for a grouchy, elderly neighbor every day, and Lizzie secretly joins them. The story heats up when the leaders of the community decide to remove the residents of Malaga Island and burn all the houses to the ground, so they can build a resort to earn money for the community. This story is based on the true closing of Malaga Island, and it will shock and touch you. Oh, and what do YOU see in the eye of a whale? Pick it up. It's a story that will stay with you. It's SO good, in fact, that not one, but THREE stunning covers were designed for this book. Check them out in my margin.

Now I have yet another embarrassing moment to share. Now I know you're either thinking- what is up with this woman who keeps doing these things? Or poor girl, she must be quite the laughingstock of her little town. I can't really comment on that, but here's the story. Most of the people I talk to on the phone are family members, and I always end the call with, "I love you." Nothing elaborate and sappy, just a quick, "I love you." Well, I had to call one of my kids' teachers yesterday. She wasn't available, so I left a voicemail, and before I could even stop myself, I ended the call with "I love you." She hasn't returned my call yet. Hmmmmmm....

Have a wonderful boy. Check out Gary Schmidt's book and, by the way, I love you.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Matt and I laughed out loud at that one, Donna! I have had to stop myself short several times of saying that to others, but have never actually done it. Soooo funny! I love it.


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman