My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Thursday, December 10, 2009

One Day More

"Another day, another destiny..." I can't help but think of the song from Les Miserables this morning. One more day until the tour. I'm eerily calm. In fact, my lack of concern worries me because I could use a little stress-induced adrenaline. I think I used up all my adrenaline early in the week with some projects for work. In spite of the fact that my pumpkin is STILL on the porch (at this point, it's just for fun--you can't imagine how many people have called to remind me to move it--I PROMISE it will be gone by tomorrow) and there are miles to go before I sleep, but I feel like we're in pretty good shape. The house is so festive and decorated that I want to curl up in front of the fire and just enjoy it instead of finish decorating, but I can't do that yet. My dear friend, Leanne, is coming soon, so we can go gather greenery for decorating today. This part will be fun, I have to admit.

My YS, who is six, has been anxious to help with the tour. He's been cutting out Christmas-y magazine pics and sticking them to the kitchen cabinet, putting little pieces of greenery (that look like a little Christmas tree) on top of his cars, and other things that aren't terribly helpful but are really sweet. This morning, he burst into my room.
"Mom, I have the BEST idea for the tour!"
"What, sweetie?" (I am still asleep at this point)
"Look!" He holds up the dog's Christmas sweater that he has clearly taken off the dog because last I saw the dog last night, he was wearing it. It's green with red trim and says 'If I stand under the mistletoe, will you kiss me?" and here's the best part, it has flashing lights with a little battery in it. (which is actually very helpful when you're out with two little black dogs at night)
"We can give this to our baby Jesus!" he says. "You know, the baby Jesus who sleeps under our tree?"
We have a manger under the tree with a baby doll baby Jesus that the kids have set up every year. However Jesus has never worn a flashing Christmas sweater that reads 'If I stand under the mistletoe, will you kiss me?'
"Jesus would LOVE it," Jon says earnestly.
Now I know Jesus pretty well, and He would definitely see the humor in the situation, but the grouchy old ladies in Edenton? (Every town has them) I doubt it. I'm sure the word 'blasphemy' or something equally inflammatory might come up. Although they ARE the same people who keep complaining about my pumpkin...hmmmm.
"Sweetie, I think that's great. Set is up for me this morning. I can't wait to see the lights flash on Jesus." And I mean it. Sweet child wants to help and be a part of it all, and I'm with him, Jesus would love it.
So will it stay for the tour? Probably not, but for tonight, we'll all admire baby Jesus in his flashing Christmas sweater that reads 'If I stand under the mistletoe, will you kiss me?'.

1 comment:

Sandy Dorman Kenefick said...

You seem to be having an extremely interesting week. I definitely think letting your son be involved was sweet, especially when he was so obviously excited about his idea. Telling the story of the blinking baby Jesus to his kiddos someday may be fun as well (but may not be the very best title for a children's book). Best of luck with your tour!


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman