My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Friday, February 12, 2010

Olympic sadness, Megan McCafferty's Jessica Darling series

No matter how old I get, I will always get excited about a snow forecast. Is anybody with me on that? I just love snow, and I can't get enough. Now I have to admit, I've only shoveled it a few times in my life...which is the first thing a lot of pessimists bring up.

I've had an interesting writing week. I wrote all week on a new 'chapter book'--geared toward 6-8 year olds. Anyway, at the end of the week, I realized that each chapter has enough set-up in it for a whole book, so I got a jump start on five chapter books, one character. I had a great idea for one of the characters (I'll spare you the details) until yesterday when I found out that the 'nickname' was the title of an X Rated movie from the 70s! So I guess I'll have to change that, too. Sometimes things just don't shake out like you think they will.

I'm so saddened by the death of this Olympic Luger. Apparently there were some concerns about the safety of the track, so much so that one of the other competitors called it the 50/50, as in you have a 50% chance of making it! Not so funny now. Is David Letterman's mom there this time? She's got to be getting up there...I LOVE the Olympics, and I'm just a little bummed for this poor guy and his country. I mean, how many Olympians are from Georgia, anyway?

Speaking of Georgia (yes, different one, I know), my mom lives in Georgia and they're getting a bunch of snow today. She's so excited, and I'm so happy for her.

From the recommendation of the Prinze winner, Libba Bray, (she must LOVE that), I began reading Megan McCafferty's Jessica Darling series. I'm addicted. Remember the old country song "I was country when country wasn't cool"? Well, I get the idea that she was YA before YA was cool. Someone even told me recently that a few years into the YA "experiment", the bookstores almost shelved the whole thing (ha ha pun intended). THEN, it caught on, and boy did it ever!

Hope you all have a great week-end with a great book. I'm about to revisit ol' Jessica. I'm chilling by the fire waiting for the snow, so I might as well give my kindle a little cuddle time. Enjoy the snowy weather.

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman