My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Grateful Wed and more hurricane words

Glancing blow! How's that for a hurricane phrase? And punch and skirt the coastline and shear--yikes--pound and slam. Hmmm...more to come. Maybe we should have a contest--who can write a story using the MOST number of hurricane words?

Grateful Wed:

Today, I am, oh, so grateful for many, many things:
1. healthy children and parents
2. grace
3. Earl is not yet here
4. still a chance that Earl will stay a reasonable distance away
5. great teachers for all my children this year
6. my daughters excited about academics! (even thought they won't admit it directly--ha)
7. my new beautiful hydrangea that my sweet husband planted for me this morning
8. great, faithful carpool buddies


Our neighbors are doing a major renovation on the house--major--a THREE year project. The hammering and noise and so forth are starting to drive me CRAZY! So I'm headed to the library to work. Plus, it keeps me from being glued to the weather channel. (Although it's so cool to see Al Roker in my stomping grounds!) This manuscript is finally starting to come together. It has been just a joy to be back to work this past week. It's so cool how God made us feel so great when we're doing what we were meant to do, you know? It's hard to explain, but when I get in the zone with my writing, it feels like a spiritual thing. Anyway, with that in mind, I'm off to get a little religion.

I read a version of my manuscript to my 7 year old the other day, and he said some wise words to me, "Mom, if you're writing a book for little kids, use words that little kids know." Then he left the room. He's right, you know. And I thought about that all day yesterday. I mean, it's not like the manuscript was loaded with all kinds of crazy vocabulary, but the essence of it wasn't reaching him. Good advice. That kid always gives me good advice.

Have a wonderful day. Stay tuned for more hurricane words! I have a feeling more words are coming!

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman