My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Saturday, October 16, 2010

First book nominee--Dark Water by Laura McNeal--wow!

Last night I snuggled up in bed to read the rest of DARK WATER by Laura McNeal. As I mentioned earlier this week, I plan to read and share with you my thoughts on the NBA nominees in children's literature. This book is tagged "8th grade and up", and I would agree. It is the touching story of a girl jarred by her parent's divorce and her mother's resulting struggles. Our young protagonist lives on the farm of relatives, and despite her aunt's warning that "Love is something, but money is everything," she falls in love with the 'wrong' person. These events and many others take place during a California wildfire with tragic results. This tender love story will stir your heart in many ways. Every relationship in the book is complex and real. I finished the book last night, and I have thought about all the characters all day. I can't shake them, and I don't want to. You MUST read this beautifully-drawn story. It will take you back to the intensity of adolescence and the simplicity of your first love. A MUST READ.

I don't know what I plan to read next, but I almost don't want to because I want to think about this book a little longer. Thank you, Laura McNeal. Good stuff.

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman