My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Caldecott, Newbery, Prinze Awards--oh, my!

The American Library Association announced the winners of the 2010 children's books awards yesterday. I watched it live via internet (and you can, too on the ala website!). It was exciting and inspiring. Traditionally, the winning Caldecott and Newbery authors appear on the Today show the following day. So this morning, I turn on the Today show to see the winners. I was especially excited to see the husband and wife team who won the Caldecott.

I tuned in to Al and Meredith on the street talking to the guests. Then Meredith gave the lead in, "Shakespeare, Salinger, and Snooki--what do they have in common? We'll be right back to talk to Snooki about her new novel." What. The. Hell. Is. This. World. Coming. To? AARRRGGGGHHHHH

CERTAINLY they didn't bump the Caldecott and Newbery winners for Snooki. I mean, it's not possible. However, it might be better than appearing on the show WITH Snooki. Can you imagine? You win the Caldecott, excitedly arrive at the Today show to find that you're sharing the stage with Snooki? Oh, I might be ill. Okay, now I'm watching the interview. She wrote it herself, oh, yeah, except for the co-writer. It's like the show Jersey Shore except you're reading it, or that's what she says. But I did like what Matt asked, "Do you exchange your dignity for a paycheck?"

So are the award winners going to be on today or not? I remember when Linda Sue Park won, and Katie Couric asked her if it was her first Newbery. Anyway, they had her on the show.

When we, as a culture, promote and hold up the likes of Snooki more than the creators of art in our society, what repercussions will that have?

In the next few days, I will be talking about the Caldecott honors and Newbery award winners. Some of them I have not read yet, so as I read them, I will share. In the meantime, run right out and buy Snooki's book---BWA HA HA HA HA. No, in the meantime, check out the award winners on the ALA site.

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman