My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Friday, June 24, 2011

Fury by Elizabeth Miles-my psychic prediction and my salute to Dav Pilkey and Captain Underpants

I find myself hummming the Time Warp song from Rocky Horror Picture Show as I write this blog. The fact that it is already the 24th of June is just mind-boggling to me. So now I write to you from the sunny Outer Banks, happily ensconced in the cottage for the summer. I've been reading and writing (yes!) and enjoying my family.
I have to confess that much of the reading I've done lately has been discouraging. Some 'awaited novels' from a favorite author or two did not deliver. Some 'hot new books' just didn't do it for me. Again, I'm reading in the realm of children's literature and YA, as well. So I was getting a bit discouraged as I had saved this delicious stack of books for just this time. Nothing was exactly horrible, just not great. Then I get the e-galley email from S&S. (Have I mentioned that I love Simon & Schuster?) And this is where my psychic powers kick in.
I just finished a GREAT YA novel called FURY by Elizabeth Miles. It will be released in August, and I would encourage you to be the first in line. Have you ever been naughty? And hoped no one found out? The furies will strike fear in your heart. In case you've not brushed up on your mythology lately, the furies play prominently in situations where someone needs to get what's coming to him, so to speak. Of course, the fact that they are beautiful and alluring gives me all more power....The story lines for the furies in the small town of Ascension are limitless, but the author sticks to a few deserving souls. For this book anyway...I can't wait to see more of the furies and more from Elizabeth Miles. I read it in one sitting. I've even looked over my shoulder a few times today...(cue spooky, tinkling laughter). And here's where my psychic powers come in: I predict that this book will be HUGE.
Please forgive me if my sentence structure is a little stilted today. I've been working on writing for emergent readers.
Oh, and one more thing. My fourth child and reluctant reader has FINALLY fallen in love with reading. To what do I owe this miracle? As much as I'd like to say Charlotte's Web or Because of Winn Dixie or Hatchet...I have to confess it's the literature of CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS. So I have to take my hat (or underpants?) off to Dav Pilkey who has made a reader out of my son. At last. God bless you, Dav Pilkey.

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman