My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Customer Service and Christmas Love

Dear Business Owners,

It's Christmas, and at this time of year, I frequently patronize stores that are new to me, and I'm sure other people do the same thing. HERE"S YOUR CHANCE to wow customers and woo new ones. I have had countless non-wow experiences and these days they mostly involve someone talking on a cell phone while they check me out. That's not devastating to me as a customer, but the thing is, you've missed an opportunity to charm me and be appreciative of my business. Because let's be honest, there's a lot of people right now who will APPRECIATE business, right? So take a moment and be nice, say "Merry Christmas", thank me for coming in, (notice I came in!), and help me find what I need. It is one of the MANY reasons that I strive to buy local!! But I digress. I wanted to share with you a small moment I had this morning that will forever change my perception of a particular company.

I was on hold for an order (for maybe two minutes), but during that time, there was a message. "Your call may be monitored for our purposes--not yours--you are perfect just the way you are." A silly little tongue-in-cheek comment on a Christmas music-enhanced message, but I fell right in love with that company. Yes, it was that simple. I'm perfect just the way I am. Now, of course, I know they don't know me, and I'm NOT perfect just the way I am but still...it's a lovely sentiment to send out into the world.

So my point is this, dear Business Owners, it's not hard. Be sweet. Be personal. Be creative. Have a sense of humor! Share the love at Christmas, and you may find us coming around at other times of the year, as well.

Sincerely, A Potential Customer

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman