My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Thursday, December 1, 2011

Use It or Lose It

So now here I am. The first day of December. A whole pile of PB ideas. Now where do I start?? It's exciting but overwhelming. I want to hole up in my office and write them all. So I need a plan of action. I'll get right on it.

For now, the following things are running through my head:
Will the world crash in if we don't send Christmas cards this year? (I think it might)
What am I going to make for dinner?
Will my eight-year-old ever stop tap dancing in front of the fire and learn his spelling words?
What did my dog eat to make him smell like that?
How can we go through so much toothpaste in a week?
Will it hurt the cat to eat dog food for one more day until I go to the store?
When should we get the Christmas tree, and where should I put it this year?
Where is the Advent Calendar? Today is the 1st, and I need to find it.

That's the real barrier to productivity. Myself! My own distraction. So that is why I start my writing day with art pages every day. Not only does it warm up my writing, but I write about all those neurotic things floating around in my head which seems to pacify them. Sometimes I jump right into my writing project, but things always go more smoothly when I've finish my three art pages. Thanks to THE ARTIST'S WAY by Julia Cameron for teaching me that nifty trick.

So I'm off to work now. Later than usual, but the fireplace is roaring, my son is at my side making his flashcards, and the cat is purring. I have no more excuses.

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman