My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Launching of JOG

Today, my friends, I launch JOG. JOG is an acronym that stands for Just One Glass. For my Lenten project, I am sponsoring a fundraising effort with The Water Project to build a well in Sierra Leone. Did you know that 1 in 5 deaths in children under 5 are related to lack of fresh water? This cause has been heavy on my heart for a while, and I feel a strong calling to build this well and raise the awareness of The Water Project. Please consider a contribution via my facebook page, and I will have a link on this blog, as well. The name of my personal fundraiser, JOG, came from the idea of Just One Glass. How many times have you put children in bed for the night, and they want Just One Glass of water? Most American children are using JOG as a delay tactic, an excuse to stay up just a moment longer, to hang with Mom and Dad for just a bit more, but Just One Glass of water would save LIVES in other countries. We go get that glass of water for our own children in the knowledge that they probably don't even really need it! How can we not help dying children of another nation? Off my soap box for today, but you will hear more!

I believe that God calls us all to do particular things in our lives. I believe that no one else can do the job we are called and born to do. So what happens when a child dies, in a way that is completely preventable by the human race, before he or she can fulfill that calling? I believe such deaths contribute to chaos and political unrest. Perhaps, we have lost our next Nelson Mandela due to a lack of fresh water. You see, water doesn't just change lives, it saves lives. And it doesn't just affect the lives of those who survive because of it, it affects the lives of others because those survivors are valuable, gifted individuals who will contribute to the success and health of their community, region and ultimately, their country.

As I drink from my glass of cold water this morning and prepared to step into the shower, I KNOW that I have often taken water for granted. But this day, I pray that during Lent, each taste and touch of clean water will remind me that others are dying from lack of it, and I have the power to help. You do, too. So join me, won't you? I challenge you to contribute the cost of your next bottle of water, $1. It will only take 3500 people giving up one bottle of water to build an ENTIRE WELL in Sierra Leone. Or 1750 people giving up two bottles of water. Or a much smaller number of us giving up just one bottle of water a week.

Join me, and let's see JOG build a well in Sierra Leone. The sooner the better.

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman