My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Friday, June 22, 2012

SCBWI- Mid-Atlantic Novel Revision Retreat at Roslyn

So....I just arrived at the conference.  I am so excited.  I am such a nerd like that.  I can't wait to learn and grow and be challenged and hear the speakers and meet new people.  When I go to a conference like this, I always kind of sit down and think, "These are my people.  I love these people.  Book people.  I get these people, and these people get me."  Now maybe that's a bit presumptuous, but that's how I feel anyway. I can talk about my favorite books with the confidence that someone here has read every one of them!  I can admit how hard I work on my writing, how many hours (and years) I've invested with a huge drawer full of rejection letters to prove it.  I can say out loud, "I am not giving up," and every writer knows that the only reason I say that is because I do, from time to time, consider giving up.    But that's okay.  I am myself here.  No pretensions.

While I am sad to miss a summer week-end with my family, I am thrilled for the opportunity to spend a week-end in retreat, in pursuit, in concentration for the cause of writing.  I am grateful for everyone who made it possible.

It is exciting to think that I will be a different person Monday than I am today.  I will have experiences this week-end that will impact me as a writer, as a reader, as a member of SCBWI.  I return home to work with a new enthusiasm and respect for the work.  I will resume my projects encouraged, refreshed, and renewed.

My blog might even get better.

So for now, I will sign off.  I'm going to catch a quick nap before things get rolling, if I'm not too excited to sleep.  And don't worry, I will give you the scoop later.  So perhaps you can be a little encouraged and inspired, as well.

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman