My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Thursday, January 30, 2014

I Believe in Music....

So...calling all writers!  Fellow writers, if you use music in the writing process, please answer my survey on the left side.  I am doing research on the role of music in writing picture books.  However, I  would be interested in hearing from writers of all genres.

I love music, all kinds of music, and it is a big part of my writing process.  I work out my rhyming picture books on the piano, for example, and I wonder if anyone else uses music in this way (and if it is even a good idea!).  I might be cramping the story in a box.  So I want to study the relationship between music and writing and how it may be helpful and/or harmful.  I welcome any thoughts, suggestions, or recommended resources in this process.

I am working on a book now along with a study of rhythm and meter in Cajun music.   The topic of the book is related to southern Cajun culture.  I hope to study the process by doing a series of manuscripts using music.

It might be good or it might be bad.  I will keep you posted.  Thanks for your feedback and input.

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman