My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Thursday, February 28, 2008

Two Printz Winners

Every year I try to read all the National Book Award finalists for juvenile fiction, Newberry Winners, Caldecotts, etc. I simply see it as part of my job, and I LOVE to read them. However, I haven't been so faithful with the Printz awards, so I've been trying to catch up. I have two wonderful Printz Award Winners to recommend to you. The first one is Looking for Alaska by John Green. I couldn't put it down. It's a fabulous new classic. Teen-age boys everywhere will fall in love with this book (and Alaska). So well-drawn with characters you'll adore. No matter your age, pick it up. My husband LOVED it as I think all men will. Next, I read I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak. A completely different take on a boy's coming-of-age. The protagonist is a male, like in Alaska, but the mystery and intrigue is taken way up a notch. Where Alaska is character- driven, I would call Messenger plot-driven but the gritty, urban, underachieving characters are no less lovable. Another one I'd highly recommend. And you'll think about it long after you've finished it. Check them out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Nice to read your blog!
Hope U like to visit my blog any time you want:-).
I appreciate!


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman