My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Thursday, February 21, 2008

Where's your sword?

Yes, I KNOW you're not supposed to ask your husband, "How does this look?" before you leave the house. In retrospect, I can think of a million reasons why I shouldn't have asked the least of which is the fact that he doesn't even look anyway. But I did it anyway. This morning I dressed to go to a new Beth Moore study (awesome, yes), and I had on a pair of skinny jeans (not the kind you wear when YOU're skinny, but the kind with the skinny legs). Anyway, I had to put my boots on OUTSIDE the pants because they just wouldn't fit underneath. I also had on a long sleeved white blouse with a pink sweater vest, nothing special or unusual or new or anything like that. So I asked, "HOw does this look?" Meaning, of course, the boots on the outside, etc. He glanced at me for a second and said, "Fine. But where's your sword?" Nice, huh? Just an example of the MANY, MANY ways men just don't get it! Do you think I glided out into the world confident and ready for the day? Do you think when I stood before my group to lead the music that I wasn't distracted by that comment? And why are men always thinking of things clearly phallic? ACtually, this is more about him than me! Where's my sword? Remember, I DON'T HAVE ONE! Duh. Just a mini-vent. Thanks for listening. Any good stories out there about your husband's feedback on your apparel?

Both of my daughters have become enthralled with reading. One has been a reader for years, and one began with the Clique books. Last week was so excited at our house because the new Clique book, Bratfest at Tiffany's, came out. (and let me just say here, I'm thrilled she's reading SOMETHING) My other daughter is a big fan of Lauren Myracle's books (Eleven and Twelve), which are FABULOUS if you haven't read them, today's answer to Judy Blume, and yesterday she received the new one from B&N where we'd preordered. We'd been counting down the days until the release of Thirteen, and by our count that morning, we had another week until the February 28th release day, so imagine how THRILLED she was when it came early. It was like Christmas. She danced around with the book, kissed it, and commenced reading. Thank you, Lauren Myracle, wherever you are, for sharing your talent. What a blessing you have been to our family and countless others, no doubt. And thanks to Lisi Harrison, as well, for getting my non-reader fired up. She said if Lisi Harrison stopped writing, she would stop reading. (yes, she's always a bit dramatic)

Have a wonderful week, all. I've only received one rejection so far of my editor queries, so I'm hopeful. I'm working on several new things, and I entered the Erma Bombeck contest last week, so we'll see.....xoxox

1 comment:

Dorothy said...

This blog is going to require two replies, but I'll just put them both in this box. First, I literally LOL as I pictured you in your swashbuckling outfit, that I'm sure was quite sylish in spite of your husband's too perceptive comment. The fact he could say something funny like that to you is proof he's comfortable with you. So, rather than get mad (which you evidently didn't), you can rejoice that you have such a good relationship.

I absolutely loved your description of your girls and their books, especially your YD.
How many mothers put orders in for books that haven't even reached the bookshelf? Be proud of yourself.


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman