My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Beautiful Moms

Of course you know I have four children, and there were many years when I had at least two preschoolers at home. Often one of them had not slept well or was sick or whatever happens when you have small children. At any rate, whenever I left the house, I felt like #1 It was a small miracle, and #2 I looked like hell. I mean, I'd catch a glimpse of myself in a store window downtown and realize I hadn't brushed my hair. Or I'd look down at my legs as I sat on the park bench and honestly not remember when I'd last shaved them. Or worse, my socks wouldn't match, my pants wouldn't button, my breasts were leaking milk, or my face had a look of terror from the possiblity that I was pregnant, yet again (because once you've had three kids, you just figure you can get pregnant from washing your underwear together in hot water). Anyway, lately I've noticed a curious thing.

As I drive or walk through my small town this spring, I notice a LOT of park-bound young mothers with babies in strollers, toddlers on tricycles, and so forth. And guess what? These women look beautiful. I mean, stunning, with a radiance that is almost indescribable. And I think that while these woman are attractive, it's something much more.

I've begun to realize that the very art of motherhood is beautiful. It's what inspired all the great artists to paint the mothers and children. And the beauty is something that comes from deep within, that rises beyond varicose veins, stretch marks, and unbrushed hair. It's an aura, a glow, that God uses to smile down upon women during this tough yet precious time of their lives. But they don't know it. It's like those teen-age girls who look fantastic in a bikini, but they're too scared to wear it. These young mothers have no idea how truly stunning they are. So join me in telling them, or share this entry with them. Because it's true. There may possibly be NOTHING more lovely than a sleep-deprived, diaper-changing, ABC-chanting, bedtime story-reading, prayer-saying mama. Who'd have thought it?

I can't believe that I ever had that glow, but I must have. Perhaps it's God's way of keeping our husbands from leaving during the insane early years (ha ha). But I'd rather think of it as the glow of angels watching and protecting us, so that we're there for our children no matter what. And that would explain why all our children, when they're little, pronounce their mothers beautiful. Because they are.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Donna, I just stumbled upon your blog a couple of days ago, and I must say...it's about time!! I've been dieing to get some wisdom/advice from my very favorite mommy! I can really relate to your entry today. I was at the park trying to go unoticed just as my DS was taking off ALL of his clothes to jump into the mud puddles. Try staying descreate there. lol. Anyway, a little girl came up to me and thought I was her friend's mommy, so her entire family had to come check me out. YUK! I really hadn't brushed my hair ALL day. I don't think they notice, though. It's so nice to hear I'm not the only one on this mommy island.

"Roxy" (Brenda) said...

I'm a 49-year-old mother of only two daughters who are six years apart in age…these girls are now 17 and 23. So I cannot totally relate to all of Donna's comments. Most of the time when I went out in public, I was fortunate enough to have brushed my hair and my teeth (but not always on the same day). Although there was this one time I wore my black panties with my bathing suit top to the neighborhood pool…thinking I was putting on my nylon black bottoms to the swimsuit. I was in a hurry, of course, with kids screaming at me, “let’s go!!!” So I threw my shorts on over the “bottoms”…barely noticing I didn’t remember them being so “slight” in their coverage. When I got to the pool, took off my t-shirt and shorts, I looked down and saw black lace across the top of my “bottoms.” I kept looking and thinking I didn’t remember those bottoms having lace on them!!! At that moment I realized what I had done!! I didn’t go back to the neighborhood pool that entire summer!!!

However, NOTHING could have prepared me for the roller coaster ride in the life of a teen-age girl…even though I was once one of “them.” Thank goodness my girls were not both teens at the same time. God does not put more on us than we can handle; THAT would have been an experience I could not have survived! So enjoy the earaches, vaccinations, calling out the words for this week’s spelling test, etc. It’s going to get a lot more interesting before they are grown!!!!!

By the way…I am also the very proud aunt of Donna Jones Koppelman.

Diane said...

Nice to meet you Auntie! Glad you're here.

This was such a sweet and honest entry I hate to even go where I'm about to go but I just can't help myself. When I first read the title of this blog, I thought Donna that you were going to discuss the new picture book about the mommy's tummy tuck and face lift. I don't think it's even out yet, but I can't help but wonder if you've read about it too and what you think of it. Let me know!


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman