My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Monday, May 26, 2008

Doing the Unthinkable

Today we did the unthinkable. We bought a trampoline for our four children. Now my husband, mind you, has ALWAYS said he would NEVER buy a trampoline. He's a dentist and nearly every dental emergency he's ever had with school-age kids involves a trampoline, and they're usually not good. So I don't know whether it was a conversation about helping the family get more exercise, a response to our observation that the older kids are starting to grow away from the sibs, or the flat-out wearing down of four kids begging. Oh, and I promised to jump naked at the next full moon. Whatever it was, it culminated into the perfect storm ending in a trampoline in my backyard. We might even get in trouble with the historic district, but who cares? I, for one, have been dying for a trampoline. I can't wait to send the kids off to school and spend the day with a six pack and a trampoline. The stuff dreams are made of. You see, having four kids can make you a little crazy (or maybe you're a little crazy to have four kids?). Is it the chicken or the egg?

Another topic. My husband and I escaped for a couple of days with week-end and left our children in the care of our very, very favorite and beloved college student who agreed to come home for a couple of days and love our kiddos for us. (for a price, of course, she's no fool) Anyway, I noticed some interesting things upon my return home. Things some people might get crazy about, but I know it's just the price you pay for getting away.

The price you pay
For getting away
Catching up on laundry til your dying day.

Kids with dirty feet
Thrilled they got to eat
Every single box of cereal that's sweet.

Okay, sorry to stop mid-poem, but I'm just not in the mood, you know? Can you endure a list?

Things You Face When you Go Out of Town Sans Kids
1. All the cereal has been eaten--every drop
2. The icemaker is stopped up and when you open the freezer, about a hundred cubes come flying out.
3. Laundry is piled to the rafters.
4. The dog is starving, or at least he's smart enough to act it and play on my sympathy.
5. Every kid in the neighborhood stops by after we're home to see 'what we brought them'
6. Pink noses (sorry Matt, my dermatologist), greasy hair and dirty feet.

But you know what? I'm so thrilled to see them, happy they're healthy, and delighted that someone exists who's willing to stay with four kids, I consider it all a success.

Another piece of business, major rejection last Thursday. Don't want to talk about it, but I thought you should know. Let's just say I did a lot of PAINTING this week-end.

When do your kids get out of school? WE have about two and a half more weeks. Thank goodness. I have a long list of their toys to throw away before then. Am I the only mean mom who does this?

Oh, and God bless our troops, present and past. They make life as we know it possible.

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman