My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Thursday, May 15, 2008

Seinfeld Blog- About Nothing

I've been out of the blogosphere for a few days because I've been in such a funk. I had an all out weep-fest today about my son going to kindergarten. It's not about him so much as it's the end of an era. I've been home with kids for twelve years. And don't get me wrong, it's been a wonderful, blessed, difficult, character-building twelve years for me, but many times I've thought, "Oh, when they're in school, I'll expand my garden, etc." But now that it's almost here, I'm kind of overwhelmed. A part of me can't wait, but a part of me mourns the end of this time of my life. Okay, well, THIS IS WHY I haven't blogged because I don't want to bore you with my personal crisis!

On another front, I'm moving forward with my novel pretty well. I've really picked up some speed and gotten into the groove this week, only to break and work on submitting part of it to Chautauqua. I hope I can get it out tomorrow, which is, BTW, MY BIRTHDAY! Woo hoo! And it's dance recital week-end which is really fun, too. Our neighbors and friends are getting some fresh soft shell crabs to cook on Saturday, yum. So I'm looking forward to a busy week-end, but a nice one. The weather has been just perfect. It's weeks like these that I can't imagine living anywhere but our small town. Evenings are spent with the kids on bikes while the grown-ups porch hop for a beer or dessert or just good conversation. I got a new bike for mother's day, so I've enjoyed toodling around town on it. I had planned to take the boys to see a friend in his kindergarten play tonight, but several things intervened, not the least of which one of my son losing an entire fingernail and another child getting punished and a neighbor's cat getting into a den of baby bunnies, so we had to chase the cat to drop the bunnies. Anyway, I hated to miss the play but we ended up having a badly needed family night and visiting with our favorite neighbors.

PTA hosted a reception today for a new principal at our elementary school. I felt great about her. She was very professional and articulate. She really made an effort to get to know all of the pta moms as well as other school personnel. We're sad to see the old principal go, but I feel really, really great about this new one. Do principals have any idea the hope they bring with them? A change of leadership in a school is such a big deal and it nearly always brings growth, improvement, and good things for the community's academic environment. I, for one, was stoked. And today was officially my LAST event to lead as PTA president.

The school year is nearly over, and soon I'll have four kids at home! That will surely cure me of my 'kids growing up' blues.

Well, have a great day. I'll be having a birthday party for myself here tomorrow, so bring your own beer and come on! We'll be celebrating for sure, and hopefully I can also raise a glass to getting my chautauqua submission in the mail.

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman