My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Keeping Everybody Happy

Well, this week is always hell week for me, and this year is no exception. It's a wonderful, fun week, but it's demanding and busy. Three members of my family have birthdays this week. Now we're consciously scaling down the celebrations, which I felt great about. My YD is having two friends go to the movies and out to dinner, and my OS will invite a couple of kids over to watch Jurassic Park and eat pizza. Now this may not sound scaled down to you, but there are a TON of kids within a few blocks of our house in our neighborhood. We could easily have 30 kids for each gathering, but not this year. It's just too much to do every year. But then I feel kind of bad because a lot of the other people do it, invite my kids, and now I'm not reciprocating. So we're feeling a little backlash. (again, small town)

Now in the middle of all this (literally sandwiched between the two) is my husband's birthday, often forgotten in the shuffle, but this year we're having a little gathering. Again, could be 50 people, easy, but it's much, much, much smaller, so how do you do it? Well, in the past I've dealt with it by NOT DOING IT AT ALL. But hopefully people will understand. Anyway, that's what's on my mind today. How about you?

I already feel like a dead animal on the side of the road with birds picking meat off my bones. I'm scared to answer the phone with all the calls from people asking me to do things. I hate to have a negative attitude, but no one takes it seriously that I am WORKING. I really am trying to, anyway.

A tip on a new book I've ordered but not yet read. First of all , if you haven't read WICKED, you must, and from the same author now is WHAT THE DICKENS, the true story of the tooth fairy. I heard the author speak on NPR today, and now I really can't wait to read it. I've already fallen in love with the delicious language of it.

Take care, and have a good week.

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman