My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Saturday, November 29, 2008

Ready to Get Back to Work

Finally, my little guy is getting back to his old self, which means I can get back to my old self. I've knocked out a few things on the old Christmas list this week-end, and I'm ready to enjoy the season. I look forward to writing again. I haven't written in a week, probably, and seriously written in more than that. My kids will ALL definitely go back to school on Monday (Thank God!), and I'm going to hit it hard. I can't wait! I'm finishing up an online course that I need to give more attention to, as well.

I love the holidays, so I'm trying to finish most of my gift purchases, so I can truly enjoy the season. This time of year gets so involved with kid events, office party, etc. that I want to be able to enjoy those things without a niggling to do list.

When we first purchased our cottage in Nags Head, we became friends with an older man, Chris, who managed the neighborhood association. He was divorced and retired on the beach who picked up the job managing the neighborhood association. He is kind and professional and smart and all the things you must have for such a position, but the best thing about him is he was so wonderful with the children. My ES would run down to the clubhouse every morning in the summer to help him raise the flag. My kids just fell in love with him. Well, a year or so ago, he left our neighborhood for a different job, and my kids have pouted all summer since. We've kept up with him, and he came by yesterday to say he was coming back to our neighborhood! He had originally planned to stop working at the end of the year and see the world via his boat, but he changed his mind and came back to us. We couldn't be more thrilled. It's so important to me that we nurture this connections our kids have with good, solid people.

I remember several adults from my childhood who had a profound affect on my value system, career goals, and other life long issues. Parents are imperfect humans (how well do I know that now that I'm a parent!), and the more adults our kids can know, the more positive influences they have. I'm also of the school that kids need to be exposed to people who pursue lots of different careers. Like the statistic that 88% of first generation college students initially consider a career in teaching because that has been their primary college educated influence. So kids are affected by the adults they know.

Anyway, enjoy the holiday week-end, and treasure the opportunity to spend with family. I'll look forward to sharing some writerly thoughts with you next week. xoxox

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

So glad to hear YS is better.

No writing this week has been a good break--not feeling guilty about not writing, just settling in to visit and cook. Fun jobs.

Write2ignite said...

Hey you! I've missed you! Glad you're back. I've got a good "redneck list" on my blog (inspired by my own sweet hubby) that you might enjoy.
As always, looking forward to Poetry Friday! :)


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman