My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas spirit

This morning, my two youngest children were in the Christmas pageant at church. They were great, but more importantly, nearly all the kids seemed to really get the importance of it all, you know? It's such a big gift these little ones gift to the congregation every year.

I don't think I'll ever forget my 8yo this morning, seriously bringing his Frankencense down the aisle to the front of the church. I hope he'll come to understand that all the gifts God has given him are so precious. It was his last pageant. I can't believe it.

Now my youngest son has a few more go to, but he was an attentive shepherd (to his stuffed sheep), and he definitely knew every word of the songs. He also seemed to sense the importance of his role, even as one of the other shepherds jumped ship.

Just a few more days until Christmas, and I want to grab my kiddos and hold them tight, to stare at them long and hard, to imprint into my memory forever their darling little faces at this time. Because all too soon, they grow and change, and I can't seem to recall last year's sweet little Christmas faces. Even as I'm reminded with pictures, it doesn't seem quite possible that they looked like that only last year. I want to close my eyes and listen to their little voices because even those sounds will change in the coming months. I want to kiss them while they still let me, hold them while they're small enough, and just hang out with them while I'm still hang-out-worthy.

At church this morning, I spoke with a number of college kids home for the holidays. It seems like last week they were in my 7th grade classroom or trying to sell me girl scout cookies. And here they are, well on their way to being responsible adults. I look at them, all good kids, and wonder if their mom knew they were growing up well while they were in the midst of it. I mean, at what point do you know you're doing a pretty good job parenting? Or do we all wait and wonder until they're 18 or so to see if they've learned a darn thing from you.

I've learned that there are two kinds of people in this world: givers and takers. I just want my kids to be givers, you know? That sounds like a cynical overstatement, but I know they'll live a richer more fulfilled life as givers.

I have one Christmas wish, to the Vikings to win today. My husband is a HUGE fan, and this win will make ALL the difference in his mood this Christmas week, so please, please, please join me in pulling for the Minnesota Vikings today at 4.

What's that song? These are the good old days. Enjoy. xoxox

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman