I can't believe it. I've just finished another AMAZING book. I dare say right here and now that THIRTEEN REASONS WHY by Jay Asher is a must-read YA book for EVERY PERSON who comes in contact with teen-agers. This story is about Hannah Baker, a high school student who commits suicide then sends a series of tapes to thirteen people explaining why she did it. I couldn't put it down--literally. It is possibly the best YA novel I've ever read, and I'm not kidding when I say it's a must-read. This book will stir your heart and mind in so many ways. I closed it at the end and thought, "This book just had a dramatic impact on my life." No kidding. Now you know I'm a book nerd, but I guarantee you(adults and teens) will love it, too. Definitely mature content, and it's not exactly a gift book anyway. My heart is still beating 100 miles an hour over it, so on to Grateful Wed.
I am Grateful for...
1. THIRTEEN REASONS WHY by Jay Asher. This book will save lives.
2. Floyd Cooper's amazing recognition with the Coretta Scott King Illustrator prize and the fact that he illustrated two of the three Coretta Scott King award books this year! Amazing! I'm a huge fan, and I'm so glad I got to experience Chautauqua with him and his great family. He is truly brilliant and deserving of the recognition.
3. A new fire in my belly for writing and especially getting published! All because I'm dying to buy a hair dryer...
4. Great friends and colleagues who keep me going on tough days.
5. An understanding husband who probably wonders what the hell I do at my desk all day.
6. An awesome Odyssey of the Mind team--truly the greatest group of 7th graders EVER!
7. Precious children who work so hard! Both kids old enough to get grades got straight As! Forgive me for bragging, but they've never done it at the same time before! Woo Hoo! I'm so proud of my girls.
8. Great teachers--the other night my kindergartner hugged me and said, "I love you, Mrs. Proctor." (the name of his teacher) NOw I know he was tired and a little confused, but I know he LOVES his teacher.
9. Healthy family.
10. An awesome mother-in-law who came for several days to help make/adapt window treatments for my dining room.
11. You, my faithful readers. I had nearly 500 hits this month so far. I just wish a few more of you would comment...hint hint
Have a GREAT (ful) Day! xoxox
My Mission Statement
I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.