My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Yikes--how did I get so behind?

I'm so sorry! I didn't realize that I hadn't blogged since Friday until *someone* brought it to my attention. So now it's Grateful Wed, and I'm grateful to be back; how's that?

Last night, no, two nights ago, my husband and I were having a glass of wine and talking about the summer schedule. He asked about a conference on a particular date, and I reminded him that it was our oldest daughter's 13th birthday. He said, "What? We'll have a teen-ager by summer?"

Of course, he knew that she was turning 13, and of course, I did, too, but I hadn't thought of it like THAT. Jeez. Where has the time gone? A teen-ager? And her sister is just a year behind her. They are such great kids, it's not like I dread the teen-age years or anything, but man, that just seems so old. And I can't help but think about my own teen-age-ness. And I was pretty much a nerd.

In my mind as a young person, I always thought, okay, you grow up, go to college (ha ha wrong order), get a great career, get married, have kids, grow old, and die. But it's like I'm just realizing that there's something between have kids and grow old. It's like this part of my life I've never thought of before. Hmmm...and I didn't really factor in facebook, either. While it can be a 'time sucker'in many ways, it's this glorious vehicle of reconnection with old friends and colleagues and even family. I daresay facebook plays a significant role in my relationships these days. Truly. Crazy to think about.

Today, on Grateful Wed, I'm grateful for the following:
1. An awesome new writing buddy who motivates me EVERY DAY
2. Finishing a new middle grade novel manuscript
3. My amazing, precious, awesome kids
4. My patient, ever-enduring husband
5. Art and the role it plays in my life and the lives of my family members
6. The stunning weather today
7. My dogs' love for one another
8. Reconnecting with old friends
9. The fun of writing with kindergartners and their story of George the Squirrel
10. Lent and the blessing of reflection, introspection, and self-sacrifice

Have a wonderful and grateful day.

Oh! I wanted to tell you, I've been re-reading A Wrinkle In Time by the brilliant Madeleine L'Engle. Have any of you read it as an adult? It was one of my childhood favorites, but I haven't read it in 30 years. It's so amazing. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Pick a copy up today. xoxox

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman