My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Grateful Wed and Book Recommendations

First of all, it is a STUNNING day in eastern North Carolina. The sounds is flat and blue, the sky is a pure Tarheel hue with only one perfect cotton cloud. My dogs are sleeping, so maybe they're getting used to the construction next door or they're hoarse, either way I'm happy. Our grass is freshly mown (so my dogs have green feet). I'm actually editing chapter by chapter now which is a good thing. Poor Chris is in a yucky meeting all day, but the good news is tonight it will be behind him. Today is EARTH DAY, and our kids have planned for us to turn off the power for one hour and go pick up trash at the park tonight. Join us in a family Earth Day endeavour, and share your plans here. Also, today is the 23rd anniversary of my first date with my husband, so we might have a date night tonight after the big Earth Day celebration. So for all those things, I am grateful, grateful, grateful. And for you,my readers, I am especially grateful, so to thank you, I have TWO AWESOME BOOKS to share with you.

Book #1. HOTEL ON THE CORNER OF BITTER AND SWEET by Jamie Ford. I was so excited to find this book because I've always had an interest in the Japanese American internment during WWII. I even have a folder on my shelf about Camp Harmony because I've tossed around the idea of writing about it. All that aside, this book is perfection. Whether you know anything about Japanese Internment or you're an expert, this story is told from the heart in an urgency that takes you along with history in the making. I couldn't put it down, and I feel totally and completely in love with the protagonist. You MUST read this book. It's on the 'adult' list, but I put it on my twelve-year-old's nightstand, and I think she'll love it because some half of the book is made up of flashbacks into his childhood, and that's where the real story happens. I highly recommend HOTEL ON THE CORNER OF BITTER AND SWEET by the masterful Jamie Ford.

Book #2. WHEN IT HAPPENS by SusanE Colisanti is a fun yet moving account of young love. It is told in alternating chapters with the "he said/she said" moving it along. I haven't pulled for a couple to get together so much since Henry and Keiko (HOTEL ON THE CORNER OF BITTER AND SWEET). And with all the best love stories, you just know it goes on long after the book is closed. This YA novel is one of the sweetest accounts of healthy young love (as opposed to manipulative, controlling vampires) that I've read. Check it OUT!

Have a great day, be grateful, and visit your local library TODAY.

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman