My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Sunday, April 26, 2009

So I've been a slogger..

Okay, so I've been a slogger. I'm sorry. You guys have been Sleaders, too, but I suppose I started it.

First off, I want to make up for food Friday by sharing an interesting new recipe. Get a loaf of good goat cheese. Roll it in sunflower seeds, then drizzle honey over it. Serve it with raspberries or sliced strawberries on crackers. MMMMM... I think the next time I make it, though, I may roll the cheese in a mixture of sunflower seeds and craisins and hold the other berries, just to see. It would be pretty that way at Christmas.

Any other EASY appetizer recipes out there?

I've got soccer sunburn. Bummer. But my kids all played well, and no one's hurt, so I can't complain. Busy week-end, though.

I've not written or edited a word all week-end. I'm a little disappointed in myself on one hand, but I've noticed that when I don't write all week-end, I'm especially fired up for Monday. I had a VERY productive week last week, so I can't complain too much.

The weather has been beautifully. I can feel summer coming, and I'm excited and nervous at the same time because I have SO MANY projects I need to wrap up before the kids are out of school, but I'm ready for that kind of time, too, you know?

I'm intrigued by the huge increase in vegetable gardens. People I KNOW have never gardened are seriously getting into this. It's partly the economy (grow, so you'll eat), partly the whole organic movement (know what you eat), and partly, I think, a whole nesting thing. Everyone seems to be slowing down and appreciating home a bit more than usual. I like it.

Some other things I like about the slow economy is the way people are being so much more conservative about things. I'm not the only one now who admits that Payless has the cutest spring shoes for girls or let's eat in instead of meeting at a restaurant for lunch or dinner. I'm pretty conservative that way by nature, and it's nice to see others thinking that way.

I also like that kids are being more mindful about money. Kids I've known for years are talking about 'good economic decisions' like maybe they've heard that at home.

I LOVE it. Any of you out there Dave Ramsey lovers? He's a financial guru that I really like, anti-debt, etc. Check him out if you don't know him.

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman