My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Friday, May 15, 2009

Food Friday- Yee Haw!

It's nearly summer, and I find myself thinking about food differently. Rather than crock-potting it, I'm scouring the farm stands for great fresh veggies and stopping at the fish market a little more often. Spring makes me want to cook fresher, lighter, and at the last minute. Unfortunately, spring also means lots of other things going on like dance recitals, band concerts, soccer practice, end of year awards ceremonies, etc., and with four kiddos it's been a busy schedule (that will only kick up the next couple of weeks). As a result, I haven't had to time to 'throw together' my healthy, yummy dinners as I've intended.
So I'm going to organize my thoughts here to see what I can do to help out that situation. Okay, one staple of a great spring dinner is a fabulous salad of some kind, right? So, starting Monday, I pledge to go ahead and mix a fabulous green salad in a big bowl in the fridge, so that when I'm in a rush at dinner, I can just pull it out. Secondly, I pledge to make a big batch of pasta salad with fresh herbs. It's always better after all the flavors blend anyway, so if I have this on hand, it's a great accompaniment, as well.
Secondly, I'm going to cut up steak into stir fry/kebob size pieces, enough for the family, and put it in marinade in the fridge AHEAD of time, so all I have to do is throw it in a pan or on the grill. I can do the same with chicken, and since shrimp is the perfect food that requires no marinade, etc., I can just pick that up and bring it right home.
I will stock up on fresh veggies and prepare them for cooking. For example, I will slice onions and put in a baggie, slice peppers, cut up broccoli, etc, so it's ready to grab and cook. I will also stock up on Ginger Soy Sauce, the yummiest thing to throw into stir fry, especially with broccoli.
Now I'm ready to rock and roll, right? Plus, all these combinations are healthy and pretty low carb (okay, except for the pasta salad, but that's so yummy and everyone loves it).
If I only did a few sit-ups, I'd be ready for summer! Have a great day!

1 comment:

alison said...

I'm sure you've had it, but I LOVE a fresh spinach salad w/ blue cheese and walnuts. Have you tried "Champagne" dressing? Very yummy, but must be added at the very last minute!


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman