SO...I've sent out a few copies of my picture book manuscript, and now I'm waiting...except for one problem. My mail isn't coming. I had it forwarded from the house to the cottage for the summer. It no longer comes to the house, but it doesn't come to the cottage either. FOR TWO WEEKS! So where the hell is it? I have no idea, but it's freaking me out. And my poor daughter had her 13th birthday last week, so all you people who sent her a birthday card? She hasn't gotten it. Not one. Unless it was hand-delivered. And those of you out there who have been sending me expensive Swiss chocolate? I haven't gotten that, either. So please re-send at the cottage address. I repeat, send NOTHING to my home address or it will go into the black hole. Oh, and this is the best part--my mailman at the cottage, my representative of the UNITED STATES Postal Service--doesn't speak English. So she's a lot of help.
I should be cleaning up and packing for Pirate Camp, but I've missed you, dearies, (and, okay, some of you nudged me...) so here I am. Some big family news and beach accomplishments this week:
1. BJK, my ES, got his BOATING LICENSE yesterday! Woo hoo for him! Passed a 50 question test and everything! Not bad for an 8 year old. We're pretty proud.
2. JBK, my YS, went to a four day soccer camp this week with no major incidents. He learned a lot and pronounced it the best camp ever. (keep in mind, this was a four day, 2 hour camp)
3. HMK, my OD, also attended the soccer camp and 'brushed up' on her soccer skills while helping keep an eye on her brother.
4. We finally, after much, much deliberation allowed the two girls to get My Space accounts, private, and only with approved friends. But still. I feel soft. They spent about three hours writing the required essay, and it was hilarious. Let me just quote a little bit for you: "Please consider letting us have a MySpace account. We know our request for a MySpace has drastically thrown your parenting plans. We know that you only want what's best for us and that you want to protect us, but..." Anyway, it was hilarious. The argument that finally convinced us was that it would help them stay connected to their friends from camp. Can you say, "AWWWWW"?
5. My husband's back is out again today. HE can't seem to get ahead of this thing. He said he's feeling old when he's down with his back, the woman on his favorite pin-up has just passed away along with one of his favorite artists and night show personalities. I can't say I disagree. It's dating us all.
Much love and kisses to you all and hopes that you're enjoying your summer. I'm editing my little heart out. Maybe I'll post a new snippet soon....
My Mission Statement
I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.