My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Summer Bliss

It's 6:30 A.M. and my boys and their friend are ALREADY crabbing. I can't tell you how much I love to see my 8yo, 6yo, their buddy, and at least one dog head out for an early morning adventure. I can see them from the porch, crab nets waving around in the air like they're fencing with them.

We had this amazing moment this week-end. My ED turned 13 (gasp, I know!) and she wanted a knee board for her birthday. We got the board, and went out early Saturday with her and our OS (the other two were working on father's day cards and didn't want to go this round). It was early and quiet, not another boat in sight. Water was slick and calm but swelling with the tide. Both kids had taken turns on the board and were doing great, so my daughter was taking another turn, trying to turn around on the board . Anyway, we're pulling my daughter behind the boat, my son was spotting, it's a beautiful perfect morning and all of a sudden we find ourselves in a huge school of dolphins. I mean, there must have been 40 dolphins all around. Well, of course, my son wanted to jump in and swim with them, but we were still pulling the OD. Chris and I were just in awe of the sheer numbers and beauty of these creatures. I mean, it was such a magical moment already, the addition of the dolphins was like pennies from heaven. We were pointing them out to my daughter (remember, she's skiing behind the boat) who sees them and starts FREAKING OUT. So of course, she falls right in the middle of them. IT was so cool because they were just a few feet from her, jumping out of the water, waving their tails like they do. We're all admiring their beauty and the coolness of the whole thing, but my daughter is screaming bloody murder and paddling like crazy for the boat. It was hilarious. We were, like, relax and enjoy them. Reach out and touch them. They're friendly. They won't hurt you, etc. But she would have none of it. It was very funny.

I'm not writing as much as I'd like, but I'm having wonderful time with the kiddos. I've got the rest of my life to write. However, I am trying to write early and well, so at least I get a couple of hours in every day, to keep my pulse on the projects.

I'm getting excited about my mg manuscript. I am hoping to have that in shape and ready to send by the time school resumes. I'm still sending out one picture book manuscript and am polishing another.

My next book will definitely have a dolphin scene. ha Have a great day, and check out the Carolina coast this summer.

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

How exciting to be caught in a pod of dolphins. Have OD read Madeline L'Engle's RING OF BRIGHT WATER. (I'm pretty sure that's the tite.) It's about a young teen who makes friends with a pod of dolphins. Both your girls would like it, I think. You'd love it if you haven't already read it.

Donna Jones Koppelman said...

I haven't read it. Sounds like something I need to pick up.


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman