My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Monday, July 27, 2009

Overdoing it on the Sympathy

My back is killing me. Like spasms of pain. What is UP? My husband hurt his back a while ago, and then reinjured it recently, so he's been kind of down for the count. But now mine hurts. I haven't been sympathetic enough.

I just finished a GREAT book, SHANGHAI GIRLS by Lisa See. It's only my second good 'grown-up' book of the summer. I think I'll stop while I'm ahead. Anyway, I heartily recommend this heartwarming story. You'll never seen Chinatown the same again.

I just called my sons in and asks them to give me a list of things kids would like to read about. I told them to put on their thinking caps, so they're sitting here wearing, like, every hat in the house. Here's the list: dinosaurs, superheroes, seagulls, soccer and other sports, contests, adventures, pie-eating contest, french fry eating contest, hamburger-eating contest and your dog is in it with you, the center of the earth, kids who die in a treasure hunt, a story called pirate bay, get out of your house or you will explode, pirates, sunken ships, Captain Flapjack, splinters, main character with friends on lots of adventures, character who reads lots of books then they find themselves in the book, a monster under a bed, a spy mission, Captain Blackjack, oooh, some good ideas.

The next question is: What makes a good story?
Details, pictures, words, somebody died about something

Well, there you have it, folks. Should I send this list to the editors? That's what the kids want. So I'm off to get to work.

BTW, we got our teacher assignments this week. Yes, ALREADY. Can't BELIEVE school will be here in a month. Hope everyone's enjoying their summers. WE've got a big storm a-brewing outside.

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman