My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Whole Lotta Nothing in Particular and Redneck Parenting Tips for Taking Kids to Camp

As I told my boys yesterday, summer is already HALF OVER! We went to Edenton for a night, and it was good to be home. House is upside down with painters in the kitchen, and it reminded me of all the things I need to do there...but it was good. I have to admit that more than once I've returned to Edenton at the end of the summer with tears because our family time is so good here and even with all the company, we don't have soccer games, dance, art, etc., it's calm and precious.

I took the girls to camp on Sunday. It was like a big,crying, excited reunion between my girls and friends from last year. Camp Seafarer is just awesome. They were SO excited. I hope they're not completely drenched by rain all week. Although maybe they'll bond with their cabinmates early on if they're all stuck in the cabin from the rain.

We had lots of company last week, which was fun, but I hardly wrote all week. I started getting crazy from it, but I had a good writing day yesterday and might turn out normal after all. Plus, I was a little annoyed all week that all these people were in Chautauqua, and I wasn't!! No, seriously, I hope they had a wonderful week. I've only found one blog post on the internet that mentions it. Hope I'll dig up more.

Well, I'm off to mine some memories and write, write, write. Hope it's more intriguing and interesting than this lame blog post. I should probably do my pages FIRST and then blog, so I'm awake and have something to say. I'll work on that, eh?

REDNECK PARENTING TIPS FOR TAKING YOUR KID TO CAMP
1. Leave EARLY and drive fast, so you kid can get a 'good' bunk. Honestly, they all look the same to me, but my girls seem to think this matters.
2. Bring a letter with you and/or a little present that you can leave on his or her pillow or in cubby for them to find later. They'll probably dismiss it in all their excitement, but you'll feel better.
3. Explain to the counselor what you did to the last counselor who let your child get sunburned. A few years ago, my VERY fair-haired, freckly daughter decided that the reason she didn't have a tan was her mean mama and all the sunscreen she slathered on her, so HK decided to forgo the sunscreen and get a savage tan in my absence. Yikes.
4. However much it embarrasses your child, introduce yourself and your child to every family who will listen. They'll have a common bond later of, "Isn't my mom embarrassing?"
5. Explain to your child that when it's time to wash sheets, she should do so. I found out the other day that last year at camp, my daughter didn't let them do the weekly sheet washing because she didn't feel like re-making her bed. Nice.
6. Try not to say, "Jeez, it's hot in here. I'd die without air conditioning." and "Kind of buggy, isn't it?" and "Too bad you're not in that cabin by the water." and "Sheesh, those Seagull counselors are cute." (boys camp counselors)

Have a great day.
4.

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman