My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Monday, July 13, 2009

Work out at the OB-GYN

So we're driving down the road here on the Outer Banks which is often abbreviated as OBX. My daughter says, "Mom! Look, a new gym! The Outer Banks Gym," and she points at a big OB-GYN sign. Then, she said, "Wait, that's not right." I laughed so hard. Now every time I drive by the OB-GYN, I can't help but crack up.

Don't laugh, but I'm sore from playing foosball with my 8YO tonight. (He killed me, btw) Do reflexes slow as you age? Is there an exercise for it? Half the time I didn't even know what happened.

Tonight I read to the boys some old Mercer Mayer books: There's Something in the Attic and There's a Nightmare in my Closet as well as a newer one, There's an Alligator Under My Bed. They're really quite brilliant in their simplicity and appeal for children. Kids love being scared in a safe way and then finding out that the scary thing isn't so scary after all. My favorite is There's a Nightmare in My Closet. Those stinking nightmares are so cute! My son said, "They're not scary." "Why?" I asked. He answered, "Because they're not scary colors and the teeth are too straight." Spoken like a true dentist's child.

We had a huge storm today--lots of wind and thunder and lightning and rain beating against the windows. It was fabulous. Hope we have another one tomorrow, but it's unlikely. At any rate, I enjoyed the storm today. It was awesome. Except my dog got out and in the car and locked us out of the car for a few minutes with the alarm going off. But then he jumped on the armrest again and unlocked it, so we could stop the madness.

Let me ask you readers a question: which is more important for children's life experience? A great education or a great sense of community? Is it more important for a child to attend a school with a truly excellent curriculum, or for them to be involved in a nurturing, supportive community? Help me out here.

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman