My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Friday, August 28, 2009

Calling Liz and all other amateur dream interpreters

I have this recurring dream. I'm in a car with all the kids. We start driving faster and faster. Then I realize we're about to crash into something or someone (like the person in front of me slams on breaks or a light changes), I slam my foot down on the break and realize there's no break there. THEN I realize it's because I'm not in the driver's seat. I'm in the PASSENGER seat. So I climb into the driver's seat (yelling to the kids helpful things like,"Hold on!") and slam on the actual break. Then that doesn't work. I go to all that trouble to get into the driver's seat and I still can't slam on the breaks. So at the last minute (always, the breathless, horrifying last minute), I pull out of the near-crash at the last minute, either swerving into a driveway or the light changes, etc. I have this dream ALL THE TIME, and I have two questions:
1. What do you think it means? (I have some guesses, but what about the whole swerve at the last minute thing?)
2. Has anyone else had this dream? Is it a common dream like the whole falling/crashing thing?

So here's my thought. The dream definitely has some spiritual ramifications. I can never be fully in control, I feel overwhelmed by the activities and life of four kids, I have perfectionist tendencies and try to micromanage everything...I get all that. (and I'm working on it...) But there has to be more or I wouldn't keep having it.

So here was my plan: the next time I had the dream, I was going to STAY in the passenger seat and see what happens. But I never 'remember' when I'm in the dream. AARRGGHH. Is this anal or what? I'm even setting goals for myself in dreams. I may have finally lost it.

Well, I've got to run. I have 5000 things to do this morning, like you all do, too. I love you all, my dear, faithful readers, and thank you for joining me each day. I also appreciate those of you who are 'followers'--the link is somewhere on my blog, can't remember where--comment if you know, or I'll follow up. At any rate, share my blog with a friend! xoxox

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

I've always heard that the dreamer's interpretation is the right one. It's her dream, after all. I and many others could come up with interpretations, but you seem to have a pretty good handle on the meaning. Eventually, you'll quit having to go through the dream, but right now you're the one in control, but not really, as you well know. It's a conumdrum. Carry on, Mom. You're doing good.

Liz said...

I agree with Dorothy. But my specific sketchy interpretation is that this screams SLOW DOWN to me. Things are going way too fast and getting to a point where you may be losing control of them. However, just in the knick of time, you save it and everything is OK. Isn't that family life in this day and age? We have to work harder, now more than ever, to remember our family and indivudual values and not let "everything else" run away with us! The reason you always save the day in the end is because you DO come back to your values, constantly. And as long as you do that, everything will ALWAYS be OK- no matter what challenges you face.


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman