My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Friday, September 25, 2009

All Because Two People fell in Love

I have no idea what happened with yesterday's post, but trust me, it was brilliant and insightful. Peanut dust is out in ol' eastern NC and my allergies have taken over my sinuses and, well, I'm pretty miserable. BUT thankfully, there is the invention of tortilla chips and hot salsa which is the perfect balm to a sore throat. (except for the whole salty, water retention thing) Being sick every so often isn't so bad, I mean, it's a part of life, right? Except for the whole make-up work thing. It doesn't end when you're out of school. If I feel badly for a day or two, my house completely falls apart. It makes me realize how much I normally do.

It's nearly October and we haven't had a hurricane come near us. It's amazing. I have many fond memories of hurricanes, though, when we're all huddled together listening to the weather radio. Reading by candlelight.

Speaking of reading, tomorrow begins BANNED BOOKS WEEK. Pick up your favorite banned book and give it a re-read. What would our world be without Lord of the Flies, To Kill a Mockingbird, Harry Potter, and the countless others? You can view the complete list at www.alastore.ala.org .

We have a sign at the cottage, and it says, "All because two people fell in love." We're attending a wedding this week-end, so I thought of it. When I was younger, I loved weddings because they were such good parties. But now I really appreciate the sacrament of marriage and the profound impact such unions have on family trees and whole communities. A good union is unstoppable in its potential to serve the betterment of society and even the world. Do you ever think of your marriage as a great business merger? Together you have more strength and confidence and encouragement to be a people living for higher causes. Maybe that's just too corny, but that's how I feel.

Yesterday's blog, which was snatched away in its prime, was all about living out of your comfort zone. My kids go out of their comfort zone all the time, but how often do we, as adults, venture out and do something completely alient to our experience and knowledge? The best example I could conjure up is travel. Anyway, that's the short version. Hope you're doing well today. Enjoy the week-end. Read a banned book, live outside your comfort zone, and think about marriage. Hmmm....

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman