My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Off Season by Catherine Murdock and Carpooling

Sunday night I finished reading THE OFF SEASON by Catherine Murdock. This book is the sequel to DAIRY QUEEN that I raved about months ago. I didn't even know there was a sequel until one of my faithful readers pointed it out to me, so THANKS. I loved, loved, loved DAIRY QUEEN, so my expectations for THE OFF SEASON were high (sorry, Ms. Murdock, no pressure, eh?). But I really liked this book, too. The culture on the farm and in the community is a great, real setting, and her brothers play a bigger role in this book. The main character really steps up to the plate and grows in this story. While I wanted things to happen differently in the story (does it always have to be so hard for this poor kid?), the story was fresh and real. I especially loved her relationship with Brian and how it grows and changes. I would DEFINITELY recommend DAIRY QUEEN and THE OFF SEASON for any middle schooler or even older.

I started HUNGER GAMES last night. It has been recommended to me by many, but it just seemed so dark...so anyway, I bit the bullet and started it last night. YOWIE. It's like the car wreck remains where you don't want to see it, but you can't bring your eyes away from it. Anyway, stay tuned for more on this story.

Carpool is in full swing. I just love carpool. It's fun to see how the kids love and support each other. It's almost like a second tier family. I know they look out for each other at school, too. They discuss their upcoming days in the morning, and then in the afternoon follow up like "Did you get in trouble for not having your homework?" and "Did you find your clarinet?" Our elementary carpool has more girls than boys for the first time in years, and I was a little worried about my YS who has girl issues, but they're doing great (except for the whole showing his penis thing the first week, but we've discussed that...). Driving carpool is one of the things I will probably miss most when the kids grow up. I mean, I complain that our schools are out in the county, but I wouldn't trade that drive for anything. It's precious time.

Have a great day. Enjoy your carpool time and check out DAIRY QUEEN and THE OFF SEASON. Oh, btw, someone told me that Catherine Murdock is the sister of the girl who wrote EAT, PRAY, LOVE. Interesting tidbit.

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman