My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen

When my daughter flipped for FLIPPED, I figured I better give it a look. I read the whole thing in a day. FLIPPED is a sweet story that begins with Juli who has a childhood crush (early elementary school) on Bryce. The story alternates chapters between their two points of view (very different, sometimes hilarious versions of the same event) over the course of five years or so. Juli adores Bryce while Bryce alternates between annoyed and barely tolerating her. Juli's family is smart, artistic, fun, and real while Bryce's family is somewhat less warm and communicative but very concerned about 'external' appearances. Just when you think you've got this story figured out, it turns in a way you don't expect. The thing I love about this story is that it shows how some people in our lives make us better versions of ourselves. They just help us take things up a notch, and Juli does just that. She helps Bryce grow into a wiser, more thoughtful version of himself. Check it out.

The first round of report cards are about to come out. Last night the kids ganged up on us and wanted to know if they all got As, could we take them for a blizzard at Dairy Queen. I agreed, but now all I can think about is a darn blizzard. Isn't it funny how something gets in your head? I mean, what's the matter with me that I'm daydreaming about a stinking ice cream treat? But I am.

Right at this moment, there is a group of people on my front porch taking each other's pictures. Yes, on my porch. I don't know them, I've never seen them before, and I'm pretty sure they're tourists on the walking tour. However, this house is a real house with people living in it. It cracks me up that they just came up on our porch to take pictures in our swing. Maybe I should open the front door and say, "Boo!" Okay, they're leaving now. I just waved at them through the window. Sometimes my life is wierd.

Speaking of wierd, I've been having the strangest dreams, but I think that will have to wait for tomorrow. Don't let me forget! Have a great day!

1 comment:

Write2ignite said...

Donna!! I'm back in the blogosphere and have missed reading yours! :)

Blizzard...yummmy!

People on porch? You were MUCH nicer than I would have been.

Strange dreams will get stranger if you eat one of those blizzards close to bedtime. IMagine a giant Dairy Queen dubbing you the Milk princess. Your job? MIlking cows everywhere for their scrumptious and nutrional goodness.

yes, that was weird.
It's late.
My apologies.


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman