My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Wednesday, October 14, 2009

LOCK AND KEY by Sarah Dessen and Flu is in the House

I have a new favorite Sarah Dessen novel, and it's LOCK AND KEY. In this sweet story about sisters, family, and heartbreak, the protag is abandoned by her mother, taken by Social Services (a policeman pulls her out of class at her high school), and then brought to live with her sister. Her sister and she have been out of touch by her sister's choice, or at least that's what she's always thought...At any rate, from the transition to a new school to the awkward carpool with the hottie next door, you'll feel for her. Elements of this story bugged me, I'll be honest, because some things were just too easy. But the huge amount of heart carries the story, and I liked it very much. (But I was a little confused about the end, so if anyone's read it, e-mail me so we can discuss) The brother-in-law, Jamie, is a wonderful character who held everything together. I think I have a little crush. Anyway, pick it up. It's an enjoyable read.

We've got a little flu in the house. Hopefully it'll come and go fast without spreading like wildfire, but what can you do? Just love 'em up and hope for the best (and beg the pediatrician for some of that tightly-held Tamiflu). Anyone else out there had the flu in your house and can give me an idea of what to expect? How many days? What's the course? Did the make-up work hurt worse than the flu?

Last night my daughter was working on a paper, worrying that her writing was "too good", her teacher might think she was plagiarizing. Ah, the confidence of youth.

Nano is fast approaching and I have NO IDEA what to write about. Something's gotta give and soon because I'm dying to start writing again with that kind of intensity, but, uh, I need a story a character....okay, I do have a few thoughts but nothing's hooking up yet...Who else out there is doing Nano? If you've never done the National Novel Writing Month, you should consider it. It's hard but fun and the results will astound you. Click on the link I've provided at the left and learn more! Better yet, sign up and be my Nano friend on the site.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just start writing. By November
20th you should know what your story is about!

--Jody


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman